Act 2: The Will to Protect Others

Shirayuki walked through the snow toward the town below with her cane and the Nichirin Sword on her hip. Cries and running soon filled her ears when she reached the city's border. Stepping forward, she dodged the running villagers before one of them fell, making her crouch.

"Here, let me help you," she said. "Thank y-" he stopped before his eyes widened. "Lady Shirayuki? W-what are you doing here? It's dangerous!" he said. Shirayuki tilted her head, smiling at him. "I know, but I came to protect you," she reassured before passing by him.

"B-but you're..." he lingered, worried, making her turn to him. "Don't underestimate me because I'm blind," she smiled, making him nod. "I'm truly sorry!" he bowed. "It's fine. Just go to safety," she instructed, making him run away.

Feeling him going away, Shirayuki nodded before resuming her search for the demon. "I wonder where it is," she said. Turning her head to the left, she felt the heat of the fire before furrowing her brows. 'Someone is still inside?' she wondered.

After finding a way inside, she heard cries, making her walk toward it. "I-it will be fine. I will protect you," said a young voice belonging to a black-haired girl with purple eyes and pale skin.

She hugged a more petite boy with grey hair, purple eyes, and the same pale skin. "Nothing will happen to you," she promised, making him whimper before they silently gasped when they heard footsteps.

"Hello? Are you injured?" Shirayuki asked, making them hug tighter while remaining silent. "I won't hurt you. I'm here to bring you to safety," she reassured, turning in their direction. Still not receiving an answer, Shirayuki sighed. "My name is Shirayuki, and I learnt somebody attacked your city, so I want to help," she explained.

The boy looked at his sister with a questioning look, making her look at him. "Y-you're not going to hurt us?" she asked, making Shirayuki smile. "I promise you," she vowed.

After a few minutes, the two appeared before Shirayuki, making her smile more prominent. "Thank you for trusting me," she said before kneeling. "You two are courageous," she complimented before standing up. "Let's get you to safety," she said, motioning them to follow.

"...uhm, miss Shirayuki," called the boy, making her turn to him. "How did you find us?" he asked, which made Shirayuki smile before she faced forward. "I just felt you," she said, making the girl furrow her brow. "Felt us? What does it mean?" she wondered before her brother added. "But you're blind, right?" he asked.

The girl's eyes widened before she prepared to scold him. "I felt your heat," she responded, not bothered by his question. "Everybody has a heat signal, and that's how I find you," she explained before facing the boy. "Even if I'm blind," she smiled.

The young boy lowered his head and whispered an apology, which made Shirayuki pat his head. "It's fine. Many people asked me the same thing," she reassured him, making him nod.

Suddenly, they heard a cry in pain before silence, making the children hide behind Shirayuki as they heard footsteps approaching. "Well, well, well, fate has some nice way to work," they heard, making the two youngest whimper in fear.