Valentine's Letter (14th February 1922)

Start from the beginning

"Can I assist you?" Thomas asked.

"Even if you could, you wouldn't," snorted Nanny West.

"What did you say?"

"Why didn't you pass on my instructions regarding the eggs to Mrs. Patmore?"

"Because I was just explaining the moral values of society to my daughter," Thomas chuckled briefly.

"You mean that spoiled and insolent brat," corrected Nanny West, "The upbringing seems to have failed."

Thomas took a few steps closer to Nanny. He deliberately ignored the accusations regarding his daughter. He knew Emma was well-behaved. What he didn't know was why Miss Sybbie had to suffer under the nanny. "Why isn't Miss Sybbie allowed to have an egg with her tea?"

"I don't need to justify my decisions to you. You are a member of the staff, and you must obey the orders I give," she smiled.

"And you're not a member of the staff?"

"No, not in the way you think. Well, I believe I'm needed in the nursery - I do, after all, educate the children - something that can't be said of you."

Thomas felt anger rising within him, but he forced himself to remain calm. He knew that an open conflict with Nanny West at this moment would not bring anything good. Instead, he pondered Nanny West's implication, 'Even if you could, you wouldn't.' Thomas suppressed his anger and forced himself to stay composed. He took a moment to consider Nanny West's words. Was she right? Was he truly unhelpful? He was aware of how the staff saw him - judging his behavior - but they were all mistaken. He was a helpful person.

When he once again caught his daughter late at night, completing double the amount of homework - all of it with a damp book whose pages were barely readable - Thomas had had enough. Surely he wouldn't stand idly by as this Katherine made life difficult for his daughter.

So he reached for Katherine's notebook and tore it into three pieces.

"Give Katherine Sheppard my regards," he said irritably. From his jacket pocket, he retrieved his pack of cigarettes and lighter. He wasn't a complete monster, but he opened the window as he decided to smoke in the room against his child's wishes.

"If the brat insists on you doing her homework, then she can at least leave your school things intact, can't she?" Thomas blew out a large white cloud of smoke. Emma said nothing. She sat at the desk, unsure of what Thomas would do or say next. And how the following day with Katherine would unfold now that the notebook was destroyed.

"What is she blackmailing you with?" Thomas asked curiously. "Is it really worth it that you're burdening yourself with so much work? Letting her walk all over you?"

Emma nodded slightly.

"Spit it out, Emma!" The girl startled, trembling with his anger.

"She has something that belongs to me," she stammered softly, trying to suppress her tears.

Thomas brought the cigarette back to his lips, impatiently waiting for a further explanation.

"Do you remember my last birthday? She took it away from me."

Thomas racked his brain trying to figure out what Emma was getting at when suddenly it clicked in his mind. The heirloom jewelry. He had given her his mother's wristwatch - her grandmother's - with the initials EB for Emmeline Barrow - which could just as well stand for Emma Barrow - engraved in a small artwork on the back.

He closed the window, not wanting the warmth to entirely disappear, and extinguished the cigarette on the front of Katherine's notebook. Then he wiped the tears from her cheek with his thumbs. "Why didn't you tell me, huh?" With his uninjured hand, he gently lifted her chin to look into her sad eyes. They were so incredibly close.

"I didn't want to disappoint you. I know how precious the watch is to you," the girl sobbed. By now, many tears were streaming down her cheeks.

"Do you know what's much more valuable?"

Emma shook her head.

"Being happy, and you haven't been for weeks," Thomas looked into her blue-gray eyes as his hand brushed a strand of hair from her face. "You're not alone. You have friends... and you have me, and I certainly won't stand by idly while this Katherine pushes you around."

Pulling his child into a loving embrace, he gently rested his head against hers. "You're the best thing that ever happened to me, little dwarf. And you know you can always come to me, no matter what. I'm always here for you and will always help you."

"What are you going to do?"

"You," said Thomas, "You will give Katherine the notebook back tomorrow."

"I suppose she won't be pleased."

"Oh, not at all. Too bad I won't see her face," Thomas smirked at the thought of Katherine's reaction, but then his face turned serious again. He knew it wouldn't be easy, but it was important for Emma to learn to stand up for herself and not let others take advantage of her.

"You're strong, my little dwarf," he said gently.

The two remained in their embrace for a moment longer before parting. Thomas gently stroked Emma's hair and kissed her forehead, "Go to sleep, little dwarf," he said softly.

Emma nodded. She watched as Thomas was about to leave the room. "Dad," she spoke up, "Maybe we can make up for it - you know, your suggestion in the Valentine's letter."

"Absolutely," said Thomas, and then he finally left the room for good. She collapsed onto her bed. A mix of anger, sadness, and determination brewed within her. She knew she had to face Katherine tomorrow, and although she was scared, she also felt determined to resist her bullies.

"Do you know anyone who serves the Sheppard family?" Thomas asked curiously. Jimmy blew the smoke away from himself and then lowered the cigarette. "The housemaid, Claire."

"Let's put it this way," Thomas continued his thought, "Emma left her watch behind during her last visit to the Sheppards, and since she's no longer friends with Katherine, I wonder if the housemaid would cooperate and bring us the watch back."

"If you make sure I get the friday evening off, I promise you'll have the watch back by the end of the week," grinned Jimmy.

"Get the watch preferably tonight - on your new night off - and could you also drop off Emma's homework at the headmaster's," said Thomas, pressing the notebook into Jimmy's hand.

"Seriously now? I'm not Emma's personal footman," Jimmy said slightly irritated.

"I thought you wanted her friendship... if you bring back the watch tonight and drop off the notebook on the way, then I promise you, the child will forgive quickly."