Chapter 8

Ever since the incident at the cinema, Jake has been avoiding and not answering my and Bella messages and texts. We were told that it was mono, but was he seriously that sick to answer my phone call and messages? But to be honest, I just hope that he will get better soon.

I looked up from my homework that I was doing when I heard Bella knock on my door. "Hey, what's up?"

"Umm, can you come with me somewhere?" Bella asked as she stood in the doorway uncomfortably.

"Sure, where exactly?" I asked as I got off my bed and put on my jacket.

"Meadow."

#####

We drove through the town, walked up hills, walked through the forest, and finally we came to a meadow. A dried up meadow that scrunched beneath our feet. "Bella, what are we doing here?"

Silence. Bella looked so lost about what is happened to the meadow that she didn't even notice a man with dreadlocks and red eyes standing in-front of us. "Bella."

She stood up from the ground and when she saw what I was looking at she freezed like a statue.

"Laurent?" Bella asked, as if she wasn't sure if he was real.

"Bella," Laurent replied.

"Laurent!" Bella beamed, realising he was real.

"I must admit, I didn't expect to find you here," he said as looked at Bella before looking at me. "And you are?"

"Elena, Bella's sister," I answered as I looked between Bella and dreadlocks. "How do you two know each other? I think I would remember seeing you in town."

"I'm a friend of Bella's," he answered. "So, what are you doing here Bella?"

"I live here," Bella replied. "But you - I thought you were in Alaska with Carlisle's friend."

Is she keeping in contact with the Cullen's? After they left her alone, especially Edward? She really does need closure.

"Tanya, I was. It was kind of him to arrange, given my association with James and Victoria, "The Enemy."

Who the hell are Victoria and James? Another pair of friends of Bella's about which I don't know.

"You tried to help us," Bella argued as red eyes started circling us like we were his prey, assessing us with his eyes.

He ignored Bella as he stared at me. "Does your sister know?"

"Know what?" I asked confused.

"You didn't tell her?" He asked surprised. "You didn't even tell your own sister about the danger you just put her in?"

"What danger?!" I yelled the question at Bella. "Bella, what the hell is talking about?"

"Not now, Sephy," Bella said, ignoring me and looking at Laurent. "Why are you here?"

"I went to visit the Cullen's, but their house is empty," Laurent said, not taking his eyes off of us. "I'm surprised they left you behind. Weren't you sort of a pet of theirs?"

"...Umm, something like that," Bella replied, fear overtook her.

"Do the Cullen's visit often?" Dreadlocks asked, curious about the Cullen's. Does he have beef with them?

"Absolutely. All the time." Lie.

"I'll tell them you stopped by," Bella said, trying to sound convincing but it didn't get through me. "I probably shouldn't tell... to Edward. Because he's pretty protective."