19: Sober Dreams

REECE

All the boys on the team were gathered at Spencey's house the night after our triumph.

For a celebration, they all took their chances of getting absolutely smashed the moment we arrived at the house.

Well, I didn't.

I sat in the corner and kept my sobriety since I had another game to play the next day but for the academy.

Matter of fact, I got a text from Coach Bailey (academy coach) earlier that day to let me know that the scouts have said they want to sign me for Chelsea by summer. I knew it was pretty big news when Declan even sent me a message of congratulations for it.

This was also my sign to be on my absolute A-game otherwise I'd be risking my chances with the scouts and I really couldn't afford it since it's what my whole life had led to.

But either way, even if a match or the scouts weren't in question that night, I still wouldn't have been drinking. I wasn't a drinker of any sorts, nor did I take the drug shit the rest of the boys did.

I was squeaky clean and also, unfortunately, the permanent fucking designated driver.

So there, I watched the party animals from the corner of the massive and infamous party spot, Felix's rooftop balcony, drinking a can of sparkling water.

Christ, I don't even like sparkling water.

At the same time, I was quietly anticipating the arrival of a certain someone I heard was coming that night.

Of course, it was Natalia Spence.

My week consisted of constant thinking about her the moment after the car ride.

I mean, I often thought about her anyway but that week was different.

When I thought I was thinking of nothing, I was always thinking of her.

Though I didn't get to speak to her as often as I would have liked to due to being in revision for my A-Levels or football meetings at lunch, a glance from her was enough to drown my mind.

Subconsciously, I had did the usual noticing of the several ways she had done her hair that week. I counted four different hairstyles.

That week, she did a ponytail twice, a braid, curled and straight with a ribbon.

I liked it best when she curled her hair, perhaps because that how her hair was when I first met her in the Matron's office. She didn't look real at the time since I was mildly concussed but, god, the picture of her scarred me in all the best ways.

I think that proves that I was thinking about her. A lot.

Is that bad?

It didn't help now that Zoey knew about her.

She asked me about her nearly every day— even asked me if Natalia would be at the party before I left.

I didn't bother lying about it since she had agreed to cover up for me regardless.

As much as she was avid about me letting loose, she wanted me to get out of the house— that seems rude but she meant well, honestly.

Dad had spent his days sulking and smashed off his fucking head from drinking all day and night since finding out about Zoey's really shitty circumstances.

Barely unable to speak from the drowsy depression he'd put himself in, Zoey and I found that the usual isolation in our rooms wasn't going to be enough to keep ourselves sane anymore.