8: I Hate Thieves

TALIA

"I didn't send my child to this school and pay the tuition for this nonsense!" Mum smacked her hand against the tabletop while waving her finger in Mr Higgins' face, "You should be embarrassed!"

I sunk into my chair, feeling my face burn up with the rushing blood.

It was definite that I was annoyed thy my phone was gone and the fact it was nicked. Especially by Reece Kennedy.

I thought he was nice. Kill me if I even thought he could be a friend.

"I'm sorry, Mrs Spence. We will resolve this." Mr Higgins apologised but did not satisfy Mum enough.

"Those boys will get consequences, I hope?" Mum scolded again, still shaking her fist at him like a pirate.

However, Mum was very angry too– fuming. I love her to absolute bits but her fury was sort of— no, it was very embarrassing.

"We have called them to the office to speak to them; then we can discuss the possible consequences." Mr Higgins stated shakily, clearly crumbling under the pressure of Mum.

"The consequences should not just be possible. I want them to be definite! This is my daughter that they've been messing about!" Mum ranted and now I was sure that people beyond the room walls could hear.

Please, God, heaven, the universe— whoever or whatever, end this conversation. I've had enough of these embarrassing conversations this week. Please, I've had enough.

I would of been okay if I was having this conversation on my own with Mr Higgins but, with Mum? No. I was not okay.

It was clear Mum's anger had gotten through to Mr Higgins but Mum never stopped until she had her cut of her satisfaction by witnessing an apology and a phone back in my hands.

I rested my burning cheek against my palm while slouched. "Mum—"

"No, Natalia, honey, those boys should have known what they were doing!"

Yep. Best I stay out of this.

"It was her first day here at Leland and there's already a bully and a thief among your students?" Mum continued to reprimand. "Sort this idiocy out!"

"We will sanction them for that one way or another, yes, Mrs Spence." Mr Higgins wobbled in his voice as the feint sound of a knock and squeak open at the door.

A little office lady in the doorway cleared her throat. "Mr Higgins, there's three boys outside for you."

Help.

"Tell them to wait a moment, I'm still speaking to Mrs Spence and her daughter." Mr Higgins told the office lady when Mum interjected once again.

"I'm sure it's completely fine if those children come in now, that's if they're the boys that have been out of line with Natalia, I'm guessing."

This had to be her sixth sense.

Mr Higgins nodded to the office lady in the frame, signalling to let the boys in.

The moment Mum had directed that the three boys outside were the ones that had been 'out of line', I knew exactly who to think of.

During the meeting, Mum had mentioned three names to Mr Higgins: Felix, Scotty and Reece, which would be the names of those coming in.

I wasn't looking forward to it, to say the least.

Slowly, I sat up with my spine pressed against the back of the chair, legs crossed, hands on my thighs and breathing slowly to ensure I seemed normal.

I didn't even know how to feel.