Chapter 88 Settling grudges

Start from the beginning

If the snow is stained with dust, it will not be as clear and clean as before. Just like his heart has obviously moved and followed her, how can he deceive himself and others——

Cui Muli suddenly threw the pen, letting the thick ink spread on the table and his clothes. In the mess, his face was stained and he said in slight resentment: "Why?"

It was she who took the initiative to break in, and disturb a pool of spring water. She taught him what it means to love and to yearn, but she rebelled and fled after his heart fell in love.

Why?

She likes Meng Yuantang, so he should just let her go. Let her and her biological cousin stay together and fly together. Two people deeply in love and inseparable?

How can there be such a good thing in the world!

Cui Muli said: "Shen Yang."

Shen Yang stepped forward tremblingly, "Young Master, this subordinate is here."

Cui Muli said: "Ask him to come in."

Shen Yang was stunned, and then said: "Yes, okay, I will ask him to report immediately."

*

In the study, the man in grey explained what he had found out.

"After this subordinate arrived in Pingjiang, I first went to the Xie Mansion and learned that Master Xie and the Second Madam were brother and sister. Their biological mother passed away early. Old Master Xie married his concubine after the death of his late wife. However, after the Madam entered the house, she treated them extremely harshly ..."

"After Miss Cousin turned one year old, Madam Xie took her and the Second Lady to Luocheng, and they lived with Master Xie for nearly three years. Afterwards Master Xie and his wife passed away, the Second Lady had no choice but to take Miss Cousin back to Xie Mansion in Pingjiang."

"At that time, the stepmother had her own children and grandchildren, and she was more perfunctory with the Second Madam and Miss Cousin than before. Both the master and the servants in the house were very neglectful towards them. Therefore, when the Second Madam was about to marry to the capital, she entrusted Miss Cousin to her maternal uncle, Meng Shaogui."

"The Meng family is a local grain merchant. Meng Shaogui had a good relationship with Miss Cousin's mother. The old man and his wife of the Meng family have lived in the mountains for a long time and do not live with Meng Shaogui. Meng Shaogui has only one son, named Meng Yuantang. The whole family was really considerate when they first met."

"However, not long after, a severe drought in Pingjiang caused the Meng family's business to suffer losses. Meng Shaogui and Madam Min became obsessed with Miss Cousin's dowry. Gradually, their attitudes towards Miss Cousin changed drastically. In the entire Meng Mansion, only Meng Yuantang— —"

"I already know these." Cui Muli interrupted him, "Tell me something I don't know."

The man in grey clothes paused and said, "Young Master, do you know that the Meng family is now falling apart?"

Cui Muli raised his eyes.

The man in grey clothes said: "After Miss Cousin left, Meng Yuantang became addicted to gambling. He went in and out of gambling houses all day long and soon lost all his family property. Not only that, he also owed a huge debt. Meng Shaogui and his wife borrowed money everywhere but they couldn't repay the debt. Therefore, they had to dismiss the servants, sell the mansion, and the family rented a shabby house. However, it didn't take long for Meng Yuantang to fight with Meng Shaogui, and the father and son turned against each other."