Chapter 75 Recovering the disaster silver

Emperor Chengxuan has been extremely upset recently.

First, the Honghe River Valley disaster silver case was brought up again. Except for Yao Tiangang and Zhang Jianhu who had been killed, there was still a mysterious person behind the scenes who was plotting and controlling. The Ministry of Justice finally investigated the case thoroughly, and found out that the real culprit was Zou Yuandao, the Ningde General who had made countless military achievements. After Zou Yuandao committed suicide in fear of guilt, leaving behind a confession and the whereabouts of one million taels of silver, he sent people to investigate, but found nothing!

Zou Yuandao teased him again and again. He simply didn't take the emperor's power seriously!

Emperor Chengxuan wished he could drag Zou Yuandao out and whip his body, but since he was dead, the top priority was to find out news about the disaster silver. There is no hope for Dali Temple. Now he can only place his hope on the Ministry of Justice to see if Luo Biyu and Cui Muli can find any clues.

With this in mind, Luo Biyu took Cui Muli into the palace to meet the Emperor, saying that he had something important to report.

Emperor Chengxuan received the two of them in Yangxin Hall. He was sitting on a wooden chair painted with gold and carved dragons. As Cui Muli's cold voice echoed in the hall, his brows furrowed tighter and tighter.

"Minister Cui." Emperor Chengxuan asked, "Is everything you said true?"

Cui Muli knelt on the ground, lowered his eyebrows, and said respectfully: "Replying to the Your Majesty, this small official does not dare to deceive you in the slightest. That man once served under Wang Yongqi, the Minister of War, and also participated in the investigation of the disaster silver case. Yao Tiangang's subordinate was arrested and he was the one who cared for him when he was arrested. According to him, Chief Minister Wang had already known the whereabouts of the disaster silver, but out of selfish motives, he concealed the information and secretly ordered his confidants to transfer the disaster silver to Hangzhou."

Emperor Chengxuan's tone was calm, and there was no hint of emotion or anger, "Oh? Then how can Minister Cui be sure that what he said is the truth?"

Just as Cui Muli was about to speak, he heard Luo Biyu shout loudly: "Your Majesty! If you want to know the truth of what he said, send someone to Hangzhou Mansion to find out! That old guy Wang Yongqi——"

Emperor Chengxuan coughed slightly and looked sideways at him.

Luo Biyu calmly corrected himself: "As far as this small official knows, Wang Yongqi's uncle has been the governor of Hangzhou Prefecture for more than ten years. If the disaster silver is really transported to Hangzhou Prefecture, he must have something to do with it!"

Emperor Chengxuan's face remained calm, but his heart was surging. He has been emperor for more than twenty years and is well versed in the principle that "when the water is too clear, there will be no fish, and if people are careful, there will be no disciples." All the ministers in the court have their own thoughts, and when it is harmless, he'd always turned a blind eye and let them go. But the current incidents are all showing that he seems to be too kind, causing everyone to be lawless and act recklessly!

"Minister Cui." Emperor Chengxuan said calmly: "Zhen promise you a hundred elite troops to go to Hangzhou Mansion. Are you confident in recovering the disaster silver?"

Cui Muli cupped his hands and bowed deeply, "We will do our best to live up to the Emperor's expectations!"

"En." Emperor Chengxuan said, "If there is nothing else..."