Chapter 26 Cannot favour one thing over another

The long street was noisy and chaotic, but Zhou Niannan's voice was unusually loud. The woman in the alley was in a panic, and she and the man retreated into the depths of the shadows.

Xie Miao turned around in time and moved to the side, blocking the view of the alley, "Third Young Master Zhou."

Zhou Niannan is holding a glass bead lamp with a dancing fairy curtain painted on it, in a dancing posture, like a startled dragon. The glass beads reflected the colourful light, which happened to shine on Xie Miao's face.

Xie Miao was dazzled, and when she was about to raise her hand to cover it up, Zhou Niannan had already moved the lamp and lowered it.

"Why are you here alone, where is Cui Er?" he asked.

This person is serious. He will be at a loss if he doesn't ask about Cui Muli.

Xie Miao resisted the urge to roll her eyes and said with a fake smile: "Cousin Cui would be flattered if he knew that Third Young Master Zhou cares about him so much. It's a pity that I'm not Cousin Cui's personal servant, otherwise I would record his food, clothing, housing, and transportation one by one and report them to you in detail."

Zhou Niannan heard the teasing in her words, and was surprisingly not angry, "It's just a question... are you going back?"

Xie Miao nodded.

Seeing that she was accompanied by two maids, Zhou Niannan teased: "You are very brave. You don't even have a guard in such a crowded place."

Xie Miao glanced at him. Zuo Qing and Zuo Lan were following behind him as usual, and there must only be a lot more in the darkness.

"Third Young Master Zhou is joking." She said calmly: "What is my status and how can I compare with you?"

After saying that, without waiting for his reply, she turned around and left.

Zhou Niannan was choked by her. He had said similar words many times before, but having them repeated from her mouth made people feel uncomfortable.

He put aside the inexplicable gloominess, and glanced towards the alley without leaving any trace. He caught up with Xie Miao, "Hey, Xie Miao, since we have met, I will be kind and protect your safety..."

Not long after, they arrived at the entrance of Jing Street. The Cui Mansion's carriages were parked side by side, and a few familiar figures were gathering towards the carriages.

Zhou Niannan didn't see Cui Muli, so he didn't intend to go forward to say hello. Just as he was about to turn back to his carriage, his eyes slipped through the crowds of figures and landed on Xie Miao's empty hands.

He asked rudely: "Why did you do so poorly this year? You didn't even win a lantern?"

The lanterns in previous years were all obtained from Cui Muli, thanks to the help of the ladies of the Cui Mansion. This year...if you don't ask for anything, you will naturally get nothing.

Xie Miao didn't want to elaborate with him and murmured: "Which law in Da Qi stipulates that everyone must have a lantern for the Lantern Festival?"

Zhou Niannan asked: "Everyone else has it, but you don't. Don't you feel embarrassed?"

She said nonchalantly: "A child's face can't be broken with just one poke." How can an adult like her, who has lived two lives, feel embarrassed about such a trivial matter?

The more Zhou Niannan heard, the more curious he became. He saw her little face tilted up, and he extended his hand out of nowhere, "Let me see how thick-skinned you are."