Chapter 23 Ruyi

The matter was quickly reported to the imperial court.

The official was angry and impeached: When Dingyuan Marquis Mansion was giving alms at Nandu Temple, they dressed extravagantly, traveled luxuriously, and spoke arrogantly. When they were giving porridge, they beat the refugees violently, so the refugees fought back with anger. Seeing that natural disasters are occurring all over Da Qi, the people are dying of hunger everywhere, and the refugees are homeless and have no food to eat. Yet the Dingyuan Marquis Mansion does not worry about the people, nor do they suffer for the people. They have failed in their moral conduct and cannot escape their responsibility. I sincerely ask the Emperor to punish them severely and set an example for others.

The words caused a stir, and many officials, including Duan Xiu, the Minister of the Ministry of Revenue, came out to agree. Only Zhou Niannan, the person involved, who was personally summoned to the palace by Emperor Chengxuan, and Cui Muli, the official of the Ministry of Justice, straightened their backs, neither humble nor overbearing, and recounted the events of the day.

After a little verification, the facts came to light. Emperor Chengxuan rebuked the officials for their double-talk and nonsense, and praised Zhou Niannan and Cui Muli for suppressing the refugee unrest. Just when everyone thought the farce was over, Cui Muli suddenly knelt down and wanted to impeach another official, the capital's magistrate Sima Qi, on the spot.

Cui Muli said that he enjoys the benefits of holding office but does not seek to carry out the duties of his position. The calamity of the refugees had been clearly known for a long time, but out of selfish motives, he disappeared and even cultivated ulcers and caused harm.

In front of the Emperor and all civil and military officials, he presented the collected evidence to the Emperor. Emperor Chengxuan was furious after reading it and threw Sima Qi into prison on the spot. He appointed Cui Muli with full authority to investigate and deal with the refugees.

Within the next half month, Cui Muli acted vigorously and resolutely. He picked out more than 20 of Sima Qi's accomplices, and then admonished Emperor Chengxuan: There were so many refugees, and suppressing them without warning would be counterproductive. Instead of being classified and resettled according to their circumstances, they could join the army and become naturalized. Otherwise they could be exempted from taxes, move to new places, and open up wasteland for cultivation. Those who are unwilling to do both will be sent back to their original place, and the local government will provide poverty relief and assistance.

This move was legal, reasonable, and comprehensive. In addition to accepting the advice, Emperor Chengxuan promoted Cui Muli from the original sixth-grade official to a fifth-grade official.

After a group of refugees who were jealous of wealth were dealt with, the incident of the Dingyuan Marquis Mansion clashing with refugees was gradually forgotten

*

Zhou Niannan met Xie Miao again on Cui Muli's eighteenth birthday.

The Cui family have always kept a low profile, and Cui Muli was no exception. On his birthday, he only invited a few friends to have a small banquet at Cui Mansion. The elders had already left the table, and apart from the brothers and sisters of the family, Cui Muli's few remaining friends were the only ones left.

Green ants make fresh fermented wine and a small red clay stove. (t/n: depicts a cozy drinking scene - poet Bai Juyi)

Compared to the freezing cold weather outside, the hall is warm and pleasant, and the aroma of wine is diffused. The young men and women in luxurious clothes sat at separate tables and raised their glasses to congratulate Cui Muli.