Chapter 8

It was Sunday, and I found myself still in bed, I checked the time it was past 10 a.m. My head was spinning from a cold I had caught, thanks to Eden Miller and his evil eye. Seriously? Tomorrow was my first day of work, and today I was suffering with a cold, not to mention I hadn't even checked out any apartments yet. Ava, being the true friend she is, bought me medicine and food. She's always there for me.

"So, how did you catch this cold?" she asked, taking a seat on the couch.

"Thanks to Eden Miller..." I started but couldn't finish before she interrupted.

"What?" Her eyes widened and she opened her mouth as big as black hole "You and Eden? When did this happen? When did you two get involve with each other? And you never told me, Why didn't you tell me? I always knew you two were made for each other, but this is fast! you even got cold from him what you two did? Did you... you know?" She waggled her eyebrows suggestively. "You always said that you will not be involved with any guy don't tell me you lost your virg..."

"Wait! Wait! No!" I cut her off. "That's not it. I meant to say that thanks to him and his evil eye." I explained quickly what happened last night before she could make any wild story in her mind and jump to any wild conclusions.

"Oh." Her disappointment was palpable. "I wasn't shocked about you finding someone, just sad you didn't tell me sooner." She pouted.

"No, that's not it, that's not possible" I clarified  and sighed in relief. She finally understood.

And here I was thinking you finally lost your so-called virginity. I was happy and kind of looking forward to teasing you about it," she teased.

"Shut up!" I said irritably,  "Enough of your nonsense" I groaned, rolling onto my bed.

"I wonder who the lucky guy will be to take your precious virg..."

"Knock it off already" I interrupted, feeling irritated.

"Okay! okay!"

"Well... I found something for you" she said, her smile returning.

"I don't need a guy, you know it better" I said, engulfing myself in a quilt.

"Listen first, stubborn idiot" her smile faded "James found an apartment for you, only 10 minutes from our office." She finished.

"What!" I jumped out of my bed in excitement.

"Yes!" she confirmed, smiling broadly.

"Thank you so much, Ava!" I said, grinning from ear to ear, tempted to hug her but refraining since I didn't want her to catch my cold.

"Thank James, not me," she said, crossing her arms. She knows that I avoid him.

"Okay, okay," I relented, sinking back onto my bed. "He owes me dinner," I added, realizing I should properly thank him. No! I must.

"That sounds good," she agreed. "Let me know when you plan it."

"Mmm-hmm," I murmured. I have no energy to say anything now.

"About your cold," she began again, "you should ask for a day off. You always get hit hard by colds."

"No! No!" I jumped again "I won't, I can't I have to prove him wrong."

"You and your challenges," she sighed.

After a brief argument about taking a sick day, I convinced her I was fine, even though I wasn't. She offered to stay overnight and take care of me, but I declined, not wanting her to catch my cold. I kicked her out and went back to sleep, hoping the rest would speed up my recovery. More the rest the faster the recovery.

---

It was the day of my first day at work, I woke up earlier than expected, my cold was a little okay compared to yesterday. I started to get ready for my work, took a warm bath, had my breakfast, dressed up in a simple blue shirt and white pants. I booked a cab, grabbed my handbag, I was nervous as it was my very first day, and had a cold. I had to check that apartment on my way back too, making the day's start even more complicated. It was merely the start of a day and I was already tired.

I masked up not only to prevent spreading germs but also to hide my red nose. It was probably bright red from sneezing and rubbing,  I only could hide my nose not my eyes. I hailed a cab, directing the driver to the building. After 40 minutes, I arrived. I knew Ava couldn't see me off in the morning, but she wished me luck over text.  I stepped into the building, checking the time, I was five minutes early, there were few people in the elevator,but I was the only one heading to the 16th floor, maybe I was the last one for that floor. The doors of the elevator opened, I took a deep breath preparing to step out.