Awaken By Love || @CoffeeAndSilverInk

Your patience and trust have created something truly special

Your patience and trust have created something truly special. Get ready to dive into your custom reviews, crafted with care by your reviewer at Raspberry Reviews. Your journey in the Macaron Community is about to get even sweeter. Enjoy!

REVIEWER: CoffeeAndSilverInk

Awaken By Love by angelic_petals

Title and Cover.

The title is good and catchy. It makes sense to the story and has a certain originality to it.

The cover is pretty and eye-catchy. The main characters are on display in a way that symbolizes their relationship. Author and title are well-displayed and are easy to see.

Blurb.

The blurb introduces the main characters and their backgrounds well. Through it, we know a lot about each of them, their ideologies and goals. And although we can easily deduce it's a love story between both of them, adding the main conflict in a more explicit way would make the synopsis better.

Grammar-wise, some sentences are way too long and can be split. Especially in Eddie's introduction. There are many run-ons that should be replaced with full stops.

The beginning quotes, although I understand their purpose, don't make much sense out of context. I admit they are quite funny but they're more a stylistic choice rather than a blurb.

Plot/Flow.

The opening was good and enjoyable, but I was quite surprised at how lightly the abuse situation was taken. It is portrayed in quite a mundane way, and I have a hard time imagining such a thing happening in real life.

The scenes between Eddie and Nevaeh flow nice and are enjoyable, although I felt like there were too little, or that some could be more meaningful, in order to justify how fast they fell for each other. Their romance feels too quick, which is not bad, but there could be some more scenes between them before they realize they're crushing on each other to support it.

Billy coming in to jeopardize everything was a great plot point. We love a jealous mmc and Eddie's reaction to Billy was well portrayed.

The scenes with every other character are enjoyable and the banter is credible. At some point, all they do is get scolded in class, which is fine by itself, but gets old quickly if that's all they ever do.

The story is fast-paced, but in a way that makes sense. Although, I will reinforce my point in more scenes between the main couple.

Descriptions.

Most descriptions are info-dumps, which is not nice to read. I suggest inserting the descriptions in a more smooth way as the story progresses.

Characterization:

The characters are according to the original and so are their interactions.

Nevaeh is portrayed in the blurb as someone with trust issues when it comes to love. This doesn't seem to match her throughout the book. As said in the blurb, easier said than done, but she doesn't seem conflicted at all. She is quick to crush on Eddie and, regardless of any past trauma, she doesn't show her uncertainty towards relationships that well. If she were portrayed as more conflicted with her feelings, it would match the blurb better.

She also shares very easily for someone with her background. Overall, her character doesn't show what we are told in the blurb.

Writing:

The writing presents some issues that should be fixed when editing. Some sentences are too long and should be split. There's a lack of overall punctuation, be it dialogue tags or general text. There are several misspellings and grammatical mistakes. Some paragraphs are very long and throw in lots of different actions that don't relate. Emphasis on words is made by putting those words in bold when they should be in italics. In the beginning chapters, Neveah is referred to as Y/N.

Overall enjoyment:

Some scenes were really amusing (cue Future Husband's contact) and some were really sweet. The whole story brings enjoyable moments to read, be it among friends or among the main couple. I think there's a lot of potential in it, but the few things I pointed out could be further explored. Specifically the polishing of the writing.

Good luck with your future projects and thank you for choosing me as your reviewer.

~ Astrid.

We hope you are satisfied with your review! Don't forget to recommend us to your friends!