Chapter 62

Jay sat there, his eyes wide. We were at the park, watching Charlie play with his soccer ball. Jay and I sat on a bench together. I had just finished telling him about the fairies and elves that came to talk to me. 

 "So, you're saying that the fairy queen has had people spying on us??" Jay asked. I nodded. "And you're saying she's changed her mind about both of us ruling??" I again nodded. "And she wants us to begin training."

 "Yes. I told them I'd talk to you first before I made my decision. I know it'll be tough. And I know it'll be a big responsibility with a lot of work. But I also believe we can do this. Together. You'll always be Gamma of this pack. But you will also be the best king a girl could ever ask for. You can rule as king the way I described. You can help me and be there when I need you. I'll do most of it. What do you think..?" I asked slowly.

 Jay was silent a moment, looking out at Charlie as he dribbled the soccer ball with his feet. He finally sighed and looked at me. "You can tell them we can start. Now that Alpha Richard is no longer a threat and Ash is getting better, I think we have some time. I'll look at my schedule so I know when I have free time. Between my duties as Gamma, spending time with you, Charlie, our friends, and wedding planning, it's pretty full. But, I'm sure I can work around a few things."

 I smiled and nodded. "Alright. I'll tell them. Thank you, Jay. I guess I should do the same with my schedule." We chuckled a little. I then looked back out at where Charlie had been playing. I frowned when I didn't see him. "Um...Jay, did you see where Charlie went...?"

 Jay frowned and shook his head. "No..."

 At that moment, Vicky came running up to us, panting. "Tell me you have seen Alec!" Oh, please, not Alec too....First Charlie now Alec?!

 "I'm sorry, Vicky. We haven't seen him. We've been here the whole time watching Charlie." I responded, putting a reassuring shoulder on her shoulder. "We'll help you find him. And, while we're at it, we'll find Charlie."

 "Charlie's missing too?" Jay and I nodded in response. "Maybe I can look around for him while I look for Alec..?"

 "That'd be great, thank you, Vicky. Don't worry. They couldn't have gone far. Follow their scent." Jay spoke up.

 Vicky nodded. The three of us stood there silently, trying to catch their scent. "I got it! Alec's scent!" 

 "I have both scents." Jay said. 

 "Me too. It seems like they might be heading in the same direction.." I mused.

 "Indeed...Let's go." Jay said. He took my hand and the three of us walked away, following the trail. 

 My mind raced as we walked. Did something happen to Charlie and Alec? Had someone kidnapped them? No...Who would kidnap a vampire?? If they weren't kidnapped, where did they go and why? Especially Alec. He's usually glued to Vicky. I can only imagine how worried she is about her mate right now...One minute, he's right there by her side and the next, he's nowhere to be found! 

 Finally, we found them. We stood there, our eyes wide, as we watched them. They were playing with Charlie's soccer ball. Charlie looked as happy as he always does when he plays soccer. Alec? He looked like he was thoroughly enjoying himself. He was running after the ball like a little kid.

 "Eye on the ball, Alec!" Charlie called to him, as he kicked the ball.

 "Sorry!" he said, trying to get the ball. Instead, he tripped, falling flat on his face.

 "Alec!" Vicky exclaimed, rushing over to him.

 "Alec, are you ok?" Charlie asked quickly. 

 The vampire boy was sitting up, chucking and smiling. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was someone else. Alec looked...different...I'd never seen him smile like this, much less laugh. Vicky was kneeling beside him.

 "I'm alright. Really, Vicky." Alec smiled.

 "Why did you leave?"

 Alec looked away from her, hugging himself tight. "I guess I just wanted a moment to myself...Some time to think..."

 "Are you alright, Alec..?" I asked, frowning.

 He shrugged, leaning his head on Vicky. "I guess lately, I've just been feeling....down...almost lonely..."

 "Why didn't you tell me, Alec??" Vicky asked.

 "I didn't want you to feel bad...I feel so much better when I'm with you and the others...But...It's still hard to fit in with the other pack members..." Alec said quietly.

 Vicky frowned and hugged her mate tightly. Alec smiled in content. Jay and I looked at each other before looking at Charlie. He smiled innocently at us. 

 "So, why did you leave? Huh, Charlie?" Jay asked, his arms crossed, and his eyebrow raised.

 "Well, I saw Alec and I followed him...He looked kinda sad and I wanted to make sure he was ok..." Charlie said quietly.

 I smiled at him and put my arm around him. "I'm proud of you, Charlie." 

 "Thanks. I liked talking to him. He was fun to play soccer with too." Charlie laughed.

 "Yea, because you were winning." Alec remarked, giving a small smile, his arms crossed.

 "It was your first time playing! Give yourself a break. You can't win everything when you're first starting out." Charlie pointed out. "Wanna play again??" I laughed at the boy's excited, eager question.

 "Do you mind, Vicky..?" Alec asked quietly, looking at his mate.

 Vicky smiled at him. "Of course I don't mind. Go ahead." Alec smiled and hugged her before getting up and running after Charlie. Vicky, Jay, and I laughed as we watched the two. "I love seeing him like this...It's new and different. But it's amazing...I love this side of Alec." 

 "So do we, Vicky.." I replied, smiling.

 "I think Charlie and Alec are gonna get along really well. The only one he usually gets along this well with, besides Elena and I, is Ash." Jay stated. "I'm glad Alec's found a friend in Charlie. He's a good boy. I think he'll really help Alec become more comfortable."

 "He's definitely already helped him some." I agreed. Vicky nodded, smiling, as she watched her laughing mate run with the ball.

 "I told you you can't use your hands in soccer, Alec!" Charlie exclaimed.

 "Oops! Sorry!"

 The three of us laughed. "They'll definitely be good soccer buddies, I can tell. Alec is really enjoying himself." Vicky said.

 "They both are, Vicky. They both are..." I said quietly, watching as Charlie scored a goal.