Chapter Forty-Four: The Frayed (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"None of us should have come." I buried my face into the palms of my clammy hands.

It didnt take long for Scott to de-escalate the situation and make his way to the back of the bus.

"Crisis averted?" Stiles asked, moving to let Scott into the seat.

"Mhm." Scott nodded, sliding in. His jacket brushed aside, showing a stark stain of fresh blood against his grey shirt. My brows furrowed, eyes enlarging as I realized that was from his wound.

"Scott." I gasped. That was fresh blood. He looked down to his side and tugged his jacket closer to his body.

"I'm okay." He assured.

"No, you're not." I argued.

"Hayley, I'm okay."

"Okay good, because we have another problem. Because Ethan keeps checking his phone, like every five minutes. It's like he's waiting for something, a message or a signal of some kind. I don't know—something evil though, I can tell. I have a very perceptive eye for evil. But you know that."

"I don't like him sitting with Danny." Scott frowned, eyeing the Alpha.

"Neither." Stiles and I said in unison.

"I'm going to see who he's waiting for." Stiles mumbled, pulling out his phone and feverishly typing.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm gonna ask." Stiles hit send, immediately looking up and over to Danny and Ethan. Danny, after checking his message from Stiles, turned around and gave him a look, finally shaking his head. Stiles pointed at Danny, shooting him a friendly wave and smile. Danny sneered, turning back around in his seat. Stiles puckered his lips, his thumbs quickly punching the screen of his phone.

"Stiles! Quit it!" I hissed. "Don't get Danny involved." Stiles sent Danny two demanding texts, causing Danny to turn around once more. He looked over at me and shook his head, mouthing 'seriously?' to me. Stiles threw up his hands in the air and began texting Danny over and over again. The chime of Danny's phone began going off every other second as Stiles continuously hit send on his demands.

"Stiles, if you don't quit it I'm going to throw that phone out the window." I barked in a hushed whisper. Stiles looked me dead in the eye as he continued to send texts. As I reached to grab Stiles' phone, Danny and Ethan began talking. Stiles pushed me back down into the seat and he spied not the conversation. Ethan abruptly turned around in his seat to glare at us. Scott and Stiles ducked down into their seats and I quickly looked out the window, avoiding Ethan's gaze. Moments later, Stiles' phone binged. The boys quickly read the text, their expressions growing confused.

"Ennis?" Scott questioned. Stiles turned the phone to show me the message. Someone close to him is very sick. Might not make it through the night. My face went ghostly pale, a knot forming in my stomach. "So that means..."

"He's not dead."

"No, he has to be. I saw him, he was dead." I argued.

"Not yet."

"I..." My voice trailed off, a heavy breath slowly exiting my lungs. "He has to be dead. He can't just walk out of this and Derek doesn't." I shook my head, a rock hard lump forming in my throat. "I'm the one who told Derek that Ennis was going to die. He went after him because...because of me."

☾☾☾

Time seemed to go slower on the bus as the hours ticked on. Sleep had seemed to become inevitable, the heaviness on my chest and tightness in my throat becoming too overbearing. My headphones seemed to provide the only relief, letting me slip into trying to distract myself by reciting lyrics in my head as I played music. I allowed myself to close my eyes, praying that Derek's face wouldn't flash through my vision again.