Chapter Forty-Three: Frayed [Part 1]

Chapter Song: I Walk the Line by Halsey 

☾☾☾

"What the hell?" I muttered after my eyes shot open. The familiar feeling of deja-vu spread across my body. I was dreaming, I could tell almost immediately. My eyes narrowing at my surroundings.

Beacon Lake Condominiums.

Now this was a change from the dreams of the abandoned building I had on repeat the last several nights. Now what the hell was so significant about Beacon Lake Condos? I walked inside the building, the glass front door creaking as I swung it open. The lobby was small and clean, and there wasn't a soul in sight.

Why did you bring me here, I silently questioned.

My gaze fell on the wall of brass mailboxes. The apartment numbers were engraved into the brass while white labels of last names were pasted under the key hole. I scanned over each mailbox, searching for any familiarity. Wilson...Lopez...Kennedy....Barnes...Steiner...

I paused. Steiner—PH. The surname felt familiar. Like I knew it belonged to someone, but couldn't put my finger on it.

I continued on. Connors...Brown...Whitlock...Monroe...Argent....Jacobs—

Argent? My gaze shot back over to the mail box. Argent. 1402.

A vague memory of Lydia mentioning to me that Chris had sold the Argent family home after Victoria's death came to mind. This must be where they moved. The buildings door creaked as it swung open.

"I don't know dude, but whoever did it isn't our problem." A male voice grunted as he entered the lobby. I did a double take at the two tall men walking into the lobby, keys jingling in hand. What were the twins doing here?

"It's going to be our problem if we're next." Ethan sighed.

"Right. Like someone is stupid enough to square up with an Alpha pack." Aiden scoffed.
"You mean like all of Derek's pack?" The two approached me.

"Now that's a special kind of stupid." Aiden smirked. The two hovered beside the mailboxes. Aiden stuck his key into the box labeled Steiner.

That's why the name seemed familiar. Ethan and Aiden Steiner. Their, presumably, fake last name they had used at the school. Aiden grabbed a bunch of mail from the box and closed it.

"We've got to at least tell Deucalion about this." Ethan suggested.

"Okay, go up there and tell him then." Aiden offered, pressing the up arrow to call for the elevator. "He's going to get pissed and you know it."

"I'm just trying to help." Ethan mumbled. The elevator dinged and the two entered, I quickly followed.

"The only way you can help is if—"

My eyes shot open, a labored breath escaping my lungs. With hardly a moment to catch my breath, I scrambled out of bed and darted to my dresser to grab my phone. I clicked Derek's contact and pressed the phone to my ear, jiggling my leg as the other line rang. Anxiety bubbled in my chest as I realized Derek and I hadn't talked in a few days, and I wasn't even fully sure if he'd answer the call.

"Hayley?" He answered, concern laced in his voice. My heart jumped at the sound of his voice.

"I think I know where the Alphas are."

☾☾☾

I slid the door of the loft open, finding Derek pacing in the middle of the room. He paused, his gaze softening as it reached mine. My chest tightened, my heartbeat increasing at the very sight of him. I hadn't seen him since the Alpha attack, nor had we talked much. After finding out he had kicked Isaac from the loft, I called him in a heat of anger, only to receive a lackluster response that he was doing this for our best interest. I took that as a sign to leave him alone, no matter how much it hurt me.