Chapter Thirty-Eight: Chaos Rising (Part 2)

Chapter Thirty-Eight: Chaos Rising [Part 2]

Chapter Song: Six Feet Under by Billie Eilish

I stood in the back room of the animal hospital, watching with wide eyes as Scott, Derek, and Isaac poured bags of ice into a metal tub filled with water. Once the ice was fully dumped, they'd toss the empty bags aside, continuing the process over again. I swallowed the lump lodged in my throat, the feeling of regret creeping up my spine as an aura of looming terror hovered around me. 

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Deaton asked, taking a step beside me as I stood in the doorway with my arms crossed tightly across my chest. 

"No." I shook my head, a shaking breath escaping me. "But for everyone's sake I don't have a choice." I paused, watching Isaac dump another bag of ice into the tub. Water sloshed onto the tile floor. "Do you think it's going to work?"

"I can't say for sure. This is a situation I...I haven't exactly seen happen before." Deaton paused, inconspicuously looking me over. "When did you say the dreams started occurring?"

"Not too long after the Kanima first showed up." I informed. Deaton slowly nodded his head, his eyes occasionally flickering over to my side. 

"It makes sense now why the wolfsbane effected you." Deaton mused. He quickly noticed the confusion washing over my tense features. "When Derek brought you and Scott in after you tried to catch the Kanima." He elaborated. The night of the rave, I remembered. 

"He brought us in here?" Deaton nodded.

"You had a burn on your hand. He said it seemed like you were effected by the wolfsbane." I quickly began shaking my head, recalling the fuzzy memories of that night. The vague memory of Derek accusing me the next morning of hiding something from him popped into my mind. 

"I'm not a werewolf." I stated, my voice lowering a couple octaves. 

"Wolfsbane doesn't effect only werewolves. Scott had exposure to it for a while that night. Derek said you were effected by it almost immediately. You didn't have that healing speed like he does."

"So what are you trying to say?"

"I think you already know what I'm saying, Hayley. Normal people don't just dream up the future." I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. I pursed my lips together, shrinking back from telling Deaton how wrong he was. The problem was, he was right. Normal people didn't dream up the future. 

"Okay, that's the last bag." Scott grunted, tossing the empty plastic to the side. The boys stood back up straight, staring down at the tub in front of them. I cautiosly walked towards the icy water, glaring it down. The sight alone chilled my bones.

"Good." Deaton said, following me farther into the room. I crossed my arms tightly over my chest, stepping closer to the tub. "You said this only happens when you're asleep, right?" I nodded. "Now if we can slow your heart rate down enough, you'll slip into a trance like state. " 

"So it's like being hypnotized." Isaac commented.

"Exactly."

"Except with waterboarding." I muttered under my breath. 

"It'll let us access your subconscious mind. Think of it like dreaming but allowing us to guide where you go." I swallowed the rock hard lump that formed in my throat. Controlling my dreams? How was Deaton supposed to do that when I couldn't control my own mind?

"This has all already happened. How am I supposed to see something where I never was in the first place?" I asked, crouching down in front of the tub. My fingers curled along the edge of the cold metal drum, hovering over the icy water.