Chapter Thirty-One: Battlefield (Part 2)

Chapter Thirty One: Battlefield (Part 2)

Chapter Song: Five Years by Blake Neely

☾☾☾

"Go cyclones!" I cheered, clapping my hands together as one of the lacrosse players made a goal. I stood on the sidelines of the lacrosse filed, watching players zip around each other. Cold wind slapped at my cheeks, sending shivers down my spine. As I blinked the cold from my eyes, the sounds of cheering fans disappeared. I re-opened them to find the field now completely cleared of both players and game attendees. I was alone. 

Another cold wind blew past me, nipping at my legs. My confusion grew as I looked down, my once leg clad jeans now bare and my outfit replaced with baggy burgundy gym shorts. My shirt had been replaced with a burgundy jersey with "Beacon Hills" stamped across the front in white letters. 

"Thirty! Twenty-nine! Twenty-eight! Twenty-seven!" A crowded chant cheered through the air. my eyes trailed to the scoreboard, finding the numbers on the clock counting down. I looked around in search of the voices, but the bleachers were empty. I was completely alone.

Almost. 

In the middle of the empty field sat a large black sack. It hadn't been there moments before. Reluctantly, I stepped forward and ventured towards the sack. I could feel my lungs release a shaking breath as I approached it, noticing that the black vinyl sack wasn't just any sack. It was a body bag.

And somebody was inside it.

I reached down, my trembling fingers grasping the metal zipper and pulling it down half way. 

"What?" I whispered, realizing the body bag was empty. I stood up, looking at the empty inside as if I was blindly missing something. There had definitely been someone in the bag, I was sure of it. There was a human sized imprint in the bag. Who had been in here?

A hiss echoed in the air. Whipping my body around, I found a human Jackson stalking towards me. 

"Jackson?" I realized. "What's going on?" Jackson's blue eyes stared at me deadpan until the pupils transformed into reptilian like slits. My breath hitched and I soon found my feet glued to the ground. A sick smile lifted the corners of Jackson's lips as he approached me. 

"Jackson, no!" I screamed as he lunged forward, sinking his claws into my stomach. A loud buzzer rang in my ears.

☾☾☾

My body sprung from its face down position, my hands holding up my weight. My chest heaved up and down, realizing the dream had just been yet another realistic nightmare. The slight feeling of nausea gurgled in my stomach, soon passing as I became more aware of my surroundings. My room was bright, sun peaking through the window, which caused a nuisance pounding in my brain. I silently reminded myself the realistic dream was just that. A dream. Pictures in my head. 

To my right, an alarm began buzzing on my phone, alerting me that it was already time to get up. I pressed the snooze button and flipped myself onto my back.

The pounding in my head was a painful reminder of the amount of alcohol I'd drank last night. Although it wasn't enough to void me of all thoughts and emotion, it still was like a sledgehammer to the head. My mouth felt like a desert and all I wanted was to fall back to sleep for the day. Although, through the pain of my hangover and desperation for more sleep, I couldn't help but think about one thing and one thing only.

Derek.

☾☾☾

I shrugged on a black jean jacket as I walked down the stairs, my eyes landing on mom standing by the front door fishing for her car keys deep within her bag. I froze on a step, debating whether or not I wanted to attempt to walk past or even say something to her. I knew she'd just ignore me anyways.