Chapter 13: Formality

Chapter Thirteen: Formality

Chapter Song: The Thread of the Thing by Fay Wolf 

☾☾☾

Furious Stiles and I ruin her date, Mom had quite literally dragged me home by the collar of my shirt. Although I knew I'd regret it later, I had lied and put the blame fully on me. I took responsibility, claiming Scott hadn't been involved and the plan was entirely my idea. If only mom knew the truth, then she'd understand.

"I can't even imagine what the hell was going through your mind to ruin something like this for me!" Mom yelled as we walked through the front door. The house was eerily quiet, I figured Scott had hauled ass to his room to escape mom's wrath. Scott could probably hear her down the street. I had lost count for how long she'd been yelling at me.

"Again, I'm sorry." I repeated for the umpteenth time as I bit the inside of my cheek. 

"Why?" Mom groaned in frustration. "Hayley, what have I done to you for you to want to do this?"

"You wouldn't understand." I replied quietly, avoiding her harsh gaze.

"I wouldn't understand?" She cried out. "I don't get it! I just don't! Is it because you don't want a stranger in the house? Or do you not want someone to replace Rafael?" My eyes grew wide. Hearing the name of my adoptive father pass through moms lips was rare. So rare, in fact the name sounded foreign. I grew quiet. "Is it because you don't want to let anyone else in? Are you scared?"

My chest ached as I slowly nodded reluctantly. She really believed I was trying to destroy her chances of ever having a whole family again. 

"You're scared?" Moms pained expression softened as did her tone. I gave another reluctant nod as I bit the inside of my lip, refraining from telling her the real reason why I did what I did. I was trying to save her life, not ruin it.

"I'm going to bed. See you in the morning." I quietly announced. I flashed mom a sympathetic smile before trotting up the stairs. My head pounded with thoughts of how much of a horrible daughter I was. And all I was trying to do was protect her. I wiped the tears out of my eyes as I gritted my teeth together, shoving the thoughts to the back of my mind. Passing Scott's room, I lightly knocked on his door.

"Hell has frozen over, you can come out now." I sarcastically laughed, opening the door to find Scott's room completely empty. The lamp was still on, the same way it had been when we left the house. 

"Scott?" I called, walking in and concluding that he hadn't been here. I pulled out my phone, shooting Scott a quick message asking if everything with Jackson went okay. 

☾☾☾

Bang. My eyes fluttered open at the sound of something crashing to the ground. Dazed, I sat up, finally realizing I wasn't in my room. I had fallen asleep on the couch. I reached over and flicked the lamp on, a faded warm light illuminating the room. I blinked the sleep out of my eyes, looking around for the culprit of the loud noise.

"Scott?" I called as I stood from the couch, wondering if he had finally arrived home. I was met with a few moments of silence until another thump echoed through the quiet house. I craned my neck to peer into the next room, only to find the lights off in there as well. I padded through the living room, the wood floor creaking under my bare feet. "Scott, come on this isn't funny." I complained.

"—with breaking news of another body found in Beacon Hills." I jumped, whipping myself around to find the TV had turn on. The local news appeared on the screen, displaying a large headline that there had been another mountain lion attack in town. "The body of local high school student Hayley McCall was found this evening in the preserve by a pair of hikers." My breath hitched in my throat as I watched a picture of myself flash onto the screen of the TV as the reporter spoke. "Sheriff Noah Stilinski with the Beacon Hills Police Department has made a statement that the teenager is the sixth person to fall victim to these animal attacks. Local hunters have—"