Chapter 40 :- Turning the page

Zacznij od początku

Aww, looks like the prey came to me instead! SURPRISE!

Without hesitation, I reacted, delivering a swift, decisive blow that sent Elizabeth crashing to the ground. With a surge of adrenaline, I pulled her limp form into the confines of the elevator, my hands trembling with a mix of rage and relief.

Phew! That was easy.

The doors closed behind us, sealing us in a cocoon of silence. Then the lift shuddered to a halt, its mechanical whirring echoing through the confined space as the doors slid open. In the dim light of the top floor, I found myself face-to-face with a figure cloaked in familiarity—Robert. His piercing gaze bore into mine, the glint of handcuffs catching my eye as he extended them towards me.

"Here you go, tie her up," he instructed, his voice calm but firm.

My heart raced as I braced myself, ready to defend against any trickery. "You think I will fall for that?" I retorted, a hint of defiance in my voice.

Ignoring my protest, Robert pressed forward, his movements deliberate as he knelt beside Elizabeth's prone body. With practiced ease, he secured the handcuffs around her wrists, lifting her effortlessly as he spoke.

"Let's go. Our job is done," he declared, gratitude lacing his words. "Thanks for catching her. She escaped as soon as I tried to apprehend her. Looks like she already figured out that I'm a cop."

As his words sank in, a realization dawned upon me. The pieces of the puzzle fell into place, aligning with what the DCS had hinted at—a detective undercover within Elizabeth's mansion. It all made sense now; Robert was the missing link, the covert operative tasked with bringing Elizabeth to justice.

Looks like I was wrong about him.

With a nod of understanding, I fell into step beside Robert, the weight of the moment hanging heavy in the air.

Walking alongside Robert, a sense of relief washed over me as we entered the party room, where a tangled web of deceit had finally unraveled. The drug dealers, including Elizabeth's own relatives, stood subdued, their faces a portrait of defeat. It was a moment of triumph, a culmination of tireless effort and unwavering determination.

But amidst the sea of victory, a familiar tap on my shoulder jolted me back to reality. Turning, I found Shoyo standing beside me, his presence a welcome sight amidst the chaos.

"Hey, you good?" he inquired, his voice laced with genuine concern.

Surprised by his sudden appearance, I couldn't help but inquire, "Shoyo, what are you doing here?"

With a casual shrug, Shoyo explained his role in the operation, his words infused with a sense of pride.

"Nothing much, just playing my part. My job was to ensure no one left the mansion. With my speed, I was basically a human roadblock!"

A smile tugged at my lips as I absorbed his words, grateful for his steadfast support. But amidst our exchange, concern for his sister lingered in the back of my mind.

"What about your little sister? Did they find her? Is she okay?" I asked, my voice tinged with worry.

Shoyo's smile brightened, illuminating his face with a radiant joy. "Yes, they did. They saved her. She was inside the mansion all this time, and they even promised to cure her illness. They rescued others too; their identities will soon be revealed."

Relief flooded through me, a weight lifted from my shoulders as I exhaled deeply.

"That's great," I murmured, genuine happiness coloring my words. "I'm glad everything worked out well."