Chapter 34: Return of the Time Ghosts

A shark is hunting but is also surviving. A hole in the ground is a trap and is also a potential home for a rabbit or two. Dangerous things have different sides to them.

We naturally color our perceptions and reactions with our own experiences, it is how we are made to see the world.

But sometimes someone steps between us and helps us see the shark as the survivor and the hole as the house. It is not always easy to see.

***

Professor Hero stood huddled, laboring over a hastily constructed workbench of logs. A rainbow of several small fires burned beneath a bubbling catalog of several small beakers, each filled with swirling burbling liquids.

Despite all the stark differences, Theodore couldn't help but be reminded of the Professor's Laboratory where he'd met him. It had been less than a month (two weeks of which he'd apparently slept through, one day of which was a particularly lackluster birthday), but he felt as if it were years since he'd stepped out that door with the Buddy Bot.

 It had been less than a month (two weeks of which he'd apparently slept through, one day of which was a particularly lackluster birthday), but he felt as if it were years since he'd stepped out that door with the Buddy Bot

"Thank you for finding me, Professor Hero. You wouldn't believe everything that happened. Do you know this guy Terrycloth Green? If I find that jerk I'll kill him. Completely betrayed us."

"Yes yes, quite," Professor Hero responded without really hearing, distracted in much the same way that The Magician Detective so often was.

"Well I'm glad we're together. How's your work going?" he asked, looking up at the darkening and swirling clouds.

"Actually quite well. I'm ahead of schedule. Though I'm both concerned and excited that they might be, too..." his thought was interrupted by a crash of thunder, followed moments later by a glorious streak of opalescent lightning right where Theodore had been looking.

"They? What they? Did you see that?" he whispered. Theodore stumbled slightly as he felt a sudden dull ache in his calf.

"Hm? Are they already here?" The Professor asked, his growing excitement palpable.

"Who?"

"Ah, the Time Ghosts, of course. Remarkable creatures, not that I've ever had a chance to observe one in the wild," he stated all of this as if it weren't unexpected and terrifying to hear.

"Time Ghosts? Are you serious, Professor Hero? Those things almost killed me and Buddy Bot!"

"Oh I know!" he responded with far too much excitement. "That data helped me perfect this modification to The Shnozel Flixim. This experiment should in turn prove useful and deeply cathartic if and when my hypothesis is accurate!" The Professor said with the detached and alarming enthusiasm that is unique to all scientific minds in the face of crazy danger. "I do not abide by the notion of coincidence, Theodore. Your lens replacement in tandem with the proximity of the Time Ghosts cannot be underestimated or ignored. We must act."