Chapter 19: Shortcuts

Sometimes we do the wrong thing even though we kind of know it's wrong.

And sometimes we do the wrong thing even if a small grumpy robot keeps telling us it's wrong.

Or maybe even a little bit because of it?

***

The Buddy Bot clunked after Theodore as Terrycloth Green scampered ahead of them both at a surprisingly brisk pace.

"I advise very strongly against the lack of safety and mindfulness found in this course of action, Theodore!" The Buddy Bot called out as they ran, sounding oddly out-of- breath for a robot that technically didn't breathe.

Theodore answered over his shoulder as he ran to keep up. "Don't worry about it, Buddy Bot! Everything will be fine as long as we stick together!" Theodore had been through a great deal in a short time, but he felt himself getting accustomed to this level of excitement. He wished Isobel could see him.

"Now of course we'll have to go through a kind of a... back door..." Terrycloth Green called back. "I'm sure you see all sorts of things like it with the Magician Detective..."

"It was my understanding that you were unable to leave The Temple of the Hanging Foot," The Buddy Bot called towards him, conspicuously raising his volume.

"It was my understanding that Professor Hero's Old Timey Automatons are best known for their glorious array of malfunctions?" Terrycloth Green replied over his shoulder and ran on. The Buddy Bot responded with a whole new grinding noise of irritated affirmation from his mid-section.

The stumpy little green man led them through the winding corridors of the ancient temple at a dizzying pace. The space and place felt in many ways just the opposite of The House of The Magician Detective – the hallways brimmed with richly embroidered tapestries and polished stained glass, all immaculately kept. Glistening and ornate chandeliers swayed in their wake as they passed. Drippy candles in ancient sconces flickered as they rushed on by.

Finally, they halted in front of a towering set of golden doors.

"This is the shortcut?" Theodore asked, doubled over and panting.

"Not this door, but it's through here..." Terrycloth Green said, perhaps a little too casually.

The gilded doors stretched to the top of the high ceiling and arched together. They bore no marks excepting two over-sized handles and a simple outline of an upside-down sock. They gave off a particular air of having been around for a very long time.

"What is this place, Terrycloth Green?"

"TCG!" he screamed, and then calmed. "You can call me TCG. Don't even use the periods for the abbreviation – it takes up too much time, and time is of the essential essence. Time and tacos."

"Ok. What is this place, TCG?" Theodore obliged.

"Where we are right now is called The Temple of the Hanging Foot for a reason. We happen to be the most comprehensive Touchpoint for Sock Puppet Portraits amongst all of the 7 Layers of Space. And this is where we keep 'em."

Theodore's heart skipped. "Sock Puppet Portraits? Here?"

Terrycloth Green went on, "Yep. This mighty collection is what this whole fancy place got built around. And as every Magician OR Traveler knows...where there are Sock Puppet Portraits," and he stage-whispered the next part, "there are secret back doors to the Layer of Sock..."

The Buddy Bot chimed in with a loud alarm, "Now I see it. Terrycloth Green cannot leave this place without your physical assistance, Theodore. Verified and approved Doors in this Thru-spot have been dismantled under the orders of The Council of 7 per the aftermath of The Calamity of Gup."