Prompt #3: Vignette Writing Assignment/Writing Prompt #3

Prompt from September 13th, 2023

Directions: You will be writing a series of vignettes based on your life and experiences. Each vignette should be 10 sentences minimum, no maximum length - take the time to put in effort, think outside the box, and care about what you turn in.

Begin typing in the space below

"Welcome home", they always say when you walk through the door. However, it is all a facade, it isn't truly a home. This place is hell. Some are desperate to escape. Some flee to the creek, some as low as the depths of despair, and some are trapped in the place. How can a place be truly hell, and yet people turn their noses up with dismissive "heavenly" "luxurious" and "fast"?

This pit is bleak, offering no shelter under a menacing sky, and fear to take even a single step. It repels those who have flown far and wide, they flee and flee and flee. They bring their burdens and break struts to undermine the misery. Chains wrap a suffocating grip around each tormented soul. They suffer here. They despair. They doubt. This is the pit. Others think they have escaped it, but what they are fleeing from is here.

—————

Writing Prompt #3

2 options:

1. Warrior Cats but it's told from the perspective of an extremely baffled and horrified guy trying to make a nature documentary about wild cats.
2. At first, it was exciting when you gained the ability to hear the "soundtrack" to your life, the "themes" of various people around you. Then, one day, you return home—a dark, ominous, sinister melody begins to play when you make eye contact with your_____...

Option chosen: #2 (I'm not in the Warrior Cats fandom so I can't do #1 lol. But I am planning on making a separate section in this book that will be specifically for the options for prompts I didn't do for the main ones.

-End of notes, story is below-

It was the end of the school day. The end of the school day bell rang and I got out of the school and headed over to my bus and got on. I sat at the front of the bus on the bus door side to stay away from my ex-best friend. Shortly, more kids got on my bus and other kids went on their bus. Eventually, at 2:30 p.m., the buses started to leave.

I put on my headphones and started to listen to music. However, after a short minute, I stopped listening to the music because I couldn't hear the songs I was listening to because some of the kids on the bus were being way too loud. I looked out of the window and watched the trees, enjoying the song stuck in my head. I started to hear a dark, ominous, sinister melody when I passed the middle school. I even heard a dark, ominous, sinister melody when leaving the school.

***

A/N:

So, for context, my Creative Writing teacher posted an assignment to write vignettes (as you can tell). For an example, she wrote the following:

Welcome home, they say when you walk through the door. Home to some, but not to all. Some are choosing to fly elsewhere. Some fly out to the creek, some as high as the holy spirit will go, and some are locked in the institute. How can a place be truly home, and yet people turn their snoots with dismissive "ghetto" and "trashy" and "slow". This nest is colorful, offering safety under a protective wing, and confidence to take the first plunging flight. It calls to those who have flown far and wide, they return and return and return. They bring their sticks and build struts to uphold the legacy. Eggs wrap a crisp cradle around each baby falcon. They are born here. They are sheltered. They believe. They know. This is the nest. Others think they have found it, but what they are looking for is here.

I won't repeat this here. You can go to my announcements book for more context. So, for this prompt, I made a more accurate depiction of how my school is :) (K-12 Sleepaway School [from the K-12 movie by Melanie]) be like...

And also, for the third writing prompt, yes I know I kinda went against it (the second option).