11. connect

"Emily!" I hear Michelle's voice from the bathroom "Where did you put my razor, it's not here?!"

I sigh before shouting "I don't know, check the drawers!"

I then hear "Oh, got it!"

The sun set a few hours ago and I'd usually be sleeping right now but Michelle seems to be doing everything she can in order for that not to happen. Even if I were to close my eyes, I'd surely be woken up by the loud banging of drawers or the sound of the blow dryer being turned on.

Michelle has been in the bathroom for just less than an hour now and I know exactly what that means. Usually, it would be her way to give me the hint that she wants sex.

Sex is the last thing on my mind right now. I can't even think about being intimate with Michelle when I'm carrying around the guilt of what I've done. I worry that if I was to go there with her then somehow I would let my secret slip out.

"Ah, sorry I took so long." I hear Michelle's voice as the door to the bedroom finally opens.

I immediately notice that she's wearing lingerie–something that's a regular occurrence when she wants to have sex– but I try not to bring attention to it.

I just can't help but watch as she walks over to the mirror, adjusting her clothes and fixing her hair. I can tell that she's doing this all for me but I don't have the heart to tell her that she's wasting her time.

"How's things been whilst I was away?" I hear her ask me, snapping me out of my trance.

"Uhm- oh- okay, I guess." I stutter.

"Okay?" She questions me "No one's been acting odd, have they?"

"I- I don't get what you mean."

She sighs dramatically, seeming frustrated with me "At the studio, Emily! I mean, you haven't seen anyone fucking around in the office, have you?"

I take a quick second to think before replying with "I- I don't know. I haven't seen anyone in there. I mean, except from Nick."

"Michelle, what is this all about?" I ask her, not understanding her point.

"It's about the fact that someone has decided to take something out of there that belongs to me."

"What is it?" I decide to ask her "The thing, w- what is it?"

She doesn't give it away though "Nothing special. Nothing for you to worry about anyway."

I then watch as she decides to change the topic of our conversation. I notice a smile appear on her face as she gives me a cunning look. She takes a blonde lock, twirling it around her finger as she looks into my eyes.

If she's trying to seduce me then it's definitely not working.

"Anyway, enough of all the studio talk." She says "I want to connect with you. I feel like it's been forever since we last saw each other... last touched each other."

She crawls onto the bed, getting closer to me. I find myself backing up against the headboard discreetly. I don't want to touch her body or to have her touch me– it just feels so wrong. Yet, she edges herself closer towards me and I start to feel like I'm suffocating.

"I never really did tell you how much it hurt me to be apart from you." She says to me "It fucking hurt like crazy!"

"It- it did?"

She nods "I never feel complete when you're not by my side. Because, no matter what happens, I know that you'll always want me. You've always been there for me... and it sort of turns me on."

"Oh..." I say, awkwardly.

A small smirk appears on her face "The only thing that truly gets me through the days is knowing how amazing the fuck will be when I get home."

She bites her lip, before moving in to kiss me. I decide to kiss her back as I don't want her to become suspicious. I have to act like everything is normal.

But after our lips disconnect, I decide to come up with a quick excuse. I just can't do this right now. Not with her.

"I- I can't do this right now."

She furrows her brows whilst moving away from me slightly "What, why?"

"I- I'm on my period." I lie, telling her the first thing that comes to mind.

"You're on your period?" She questions me.

"Uh-huh."

"But you had your period two weeks ago." She clearly doesn't believe me.

"Irregular cycles." I say, not wanting her to catch onto my lie.

"Oh, okay" She seems to be believing me as she doesn't question me further.

"It's just-." I try to speak yet she interrupts me.

"Em, can we not talk about your period? It's disgusting! And, if this is your way of reminding me that I'm the one that's pregnant and has to go through mornings with my head in the toilet then thanks."

"I wasn't-." I try to speak but she interrupts me once more.

"It doesn't matter, Em." She gets up off of the bed "You know, I'm kinda tired anyway. Maybe we can just forget that this happened."

"Uhm, yeah.."

I watch as she walks away and I can tell that she's upset. The thing with Michelle is that she never likes to be seen crying– she says that it makes her look weak. I think I'm the only person that she actually opens up to.

After a while spent locked in the bathroom, I hear her turn the handle and her footsteps in the room. She doesn't say anything though. Instead, she pulls back the covers, hopping into bed beside me, her back facing my way.

I decide to try to fix this "I missed you too."

"Huh?"

"I realised that I never told you that." I tell her "I just want you to know that things didn't feel right whilst you were gone. I- I messed things up."

She finally turns to face me "What do you mean?"

I'm quick to make something up "A- at the studio. I messed everything up. I can't run rehearsals like you do. The kids don't listen to me."

"Oh..." she looks at me, deeply, before saying "Well, I'm sure it's fine. The kids don't listen to anyone."

She turns back over again, whilst saying "They're freaks, Em, don't worry about it."

"Thanks." I say quietly.