CHAPTER-5

We didn't talk the next day. He must have been really mad at me. He used to pick me up from work, but when I walked out of the door that day, I'd crossed my fingers, hoping that he would be there in his Chevrolet Corvette. So I decided to pick him up that day. The only problem was that I didn't have a car. So, I booked a cab to get home and took him out. 

"Hey," I said at his door. "Hi." He sounded distant and cold. Like he was in front of me in person, but his consciousness was far away. As if it didn't belong there, at that moment, with me. I broke into a cold sweat, and he seemed to notice that. His face grew softer as he spoke, "What's up?" "I wanted to t-take you out," I said, nervously, worrying about if he'd actually go with me or continue being mad. "You take me out? Stammering like that? Be more confident, Monet!" My cheeks turned cherry red. "Yeah, that's what I'm here for." He burst into a fit of giggles. "Haha, you're a little bundle of joy, you know that?" With that, he pulled me in and pressed me against the sofa. I was lying down with him over me.  My eyes stared directly into his eyes. Both of us had the same serious expression on our faces. He dove in for a kiss and we kissed for what seemed like centuries. In the end, I didn't get to take him out. Because I spent the night there. 

"Good morning, my sunshine!" Ethan said with a grin as I scratched my head. God, my hair is always a mess after waking up. "Ugh. Don't call me that, it's cringey." I replied. Ethan frowned as he tossed out scrambled eggs into two plates. "Then what am I supposed to call you?" "Isa," "Nooooo, we don't do any of that 'cute couple stuff'!" He whined. "You mean 'cringe couple stuff'?" I said, playing with my eggs. "No, cupcake." I shot him a look. "Fine, then, what d'you want to do?" "Call each other cute names, get matching rings and t-shirts, and, I'll write a love song about you!" I looked down at my food again, bright red. He just laughed it off. 

Everything seemed perfectly normal again. Until...

"ISABELLA MONET! GUESS WHAT!" Ethan screamed on the phone on a fine Tuesday. "OMG IS THERE A FIRE?" "No, you dummy. KY Entertainment just e-mailed me! They want to sign a record deal with me!" "Oh my gosh, that's insane! Congratulations!" I replied, clearly happy for him. His interview was held a week later. "Am I ready for this?" He asked me, as I was fixing his hair. "Of course you are! This is all you've ever wanted to do. You'll go on tours, sing for millions of people, and earn a big name!" "But do you think I'll have time for you with all of this?" He'd said it. The question I'd been wondering about all week. He'd finally said it. I put on a brave smile and said, "Duh, you can always make time for the people you admire. Anyway, let's not jinx it. We shouldn't think so ahead." 

His interview went great, he sold a few albums too. And just like this, an entire year had passed by. His popularity sky rocketed. Soon, he went on tour. 

"I miss you." He spoke on the phone.

 "I miss you too. Come back soon." I replied.

 "Hey, I have some news. So.... Guess what?"

 "What?" 

"Nick Steves just cast me as the lead role for a movie!"

"Oh wow! You'll cast here, right?" 

"Actually... I'll have to stay in California for a while."

"Oh.. It's fine. I can manage stuff around here." 

"You sound sad. Should I come back? I'm fine if you're not comfortable with all of this." 

"No, no, god, no! I don't want to be holding you back! Finish up your movie quick so that we can meet." 

"Thanks, babe, you're the best."

"bye."

I hung up. Not again, I thought. Things have been like this for the past year. I can't miss him any more. Maybe he doesn't miss me as much, but things are falling apart back here. What was I supposed to do? He was the only one who cared about me in this world. I had to do it. I had to break up. So that neither of us would have to wait to death for the other. I'd made the right choice, or so I thought.