Chapter Two

Persephone

🌺Chapter Two🌺

   Persephone awoke with a sudden jolt as her pale hand scorched with an unbearable pain. The sheer heat of it made her scream out as the number on her palm burned into a zero. Persephone cried out for someone to help her as the pain continued to bring her to tears.

The first to come into Persephone's room was one of the nymphs that cared for her since she was a little girl. The nymph rushed into Persephone's room with crazy eyes and flushed skin. She approached the uncomforted child and saw her clutching her hand as red tears poured from her eyes. The blood left red streaks down Persephone's pale skin making the nymph shake with nerves.

The red zero startled the nymph into silence as she slowly approached the child with worrying thoughts. All the nymph could think was that her count down was finally up meaning something, no one knew what though. Just as the nymph was by her bedside Demeter bolted through the door in a stark white robe and nightgown.

"My poor daughter, why do you wail at such an early hour?" Demeter sat down next to her daughter and searched for her daughters distress.

Persephone's once white gown was now soaked in red blood as her eyes continued to leak scarlet. Persephone showed her palm to her mother as Demeter saw the blood running down her daughters cheeks.

"It burns my skin mother!" Persephone wailed. "Make it stop!"

Demeter took her hand and kissed the skin, blowing a chilling breeze. The frost covered her palm making the skin frozen and numb. Persephone choked and sniffed in her tears as the burning resided. She looked up at her mother who too was crying tears. The blood leaking out of Demeter's eyes was for her daughter not for her pain.

Every time a god or goddess cries, blood seeps out of their eyes instead of salty tears. Zeus was the man that proclaimed the old rule but nevertheless never overruled it to rid them of the inconvenience. It was a cruel punishment that made the gods hate to cry. It almost never happened but when it did, the blood was a red as wine and as smooth a silk. Humans found this punishment beautiful, but the gods hated the thought. No one quite knew why Zeus proclaimed this punishment and yet no one questioned it either.

"Thank you," Persephone whispered as she laid her gentle head on her mothers breasts. "I hate this stupid scar, and I would quite like to know why it changes numbers every time I celebrate a birthday."

Demeter chuckled and kissed her daughter softly. Persephone was her favorite out of her two children. Persephone was a kind hearted child that loved to use her gifts by creating the most magnificent flowers. Her youth and beauty attracted many gods eyes but Demeter's protection over her child was fierce.

"I don't know my child, but I am for certain that you will be very happy to hear the news," Demeter said in a voice that made Persephone tired.

Persephone loved her mother very much. She especially loved her mother's voice that would lull her to sleep anytime needed. Her voice was like a soft lullaby that every child yearned to hear.

"What is it mother?" Persephone asked excited for the sudden surprise.

"We are to visit earth today and you can take care of your sunflowers like you have been pestering me to for the past week," Demeter playfully accused her now 18 year old daughter.

Demeter felt tears brimming her eyes as she looked at her young daughter who she swore to the gods was four years old just yesterday. Her little girl had grown up into a beautiful, intelligent, goddess and she just wasn't ready to give her up yet. She felt dread enter her heart as she smiled at Persephone, she never wanted her to leave. One day she will want to leave Demeter and start a family of her own, but Demeter couldn't even process those thoughts now. Now all she could think of was her daughter who was bouncing with delight at her.

Persephone squealed with joy as she took her mother in her arms and squeezed the breath out of the goddess, "Oh thank you, thank you, thank you mother!"

Demeter hugged Persephone with love and affection, "Now get dressed quickly so we can go."

Persephone nodded and ran towards her closet. She took off her now red stained gown and threw it on the floor, now standing naked before anyone. Persephone's body resembled much of a hourglass, with wide hips and larger thighs that many goddess' would kill for. Her chest was large, round, and perky because of her age. Her stature was somewhat medium sized, she got that from her mother.

Her mother exited but before she could leave she said a soft happy birthday to Persephone who was too busy deciding what to wear so that the bees would approve.

The bees were Persephone's dearest friends and spoke to her often. She was excited to see them again because they were working hard keeping her flowers blooming and meadows clean. Persephone also was excited to see the Queen Bee and to see how many babies she had had since Persephone had last seen her.

Oh how delighted Persephone was as she put on a white dress with golden leaves that clutched the fabric at the top and the golden leaved belt that was secured around her curvy waist. She had yet to understand just how much trouble she was about to get into.