Chapter 9

As Chief Stewart excused himself to check on Detective James's progress, Inspector Reed turned his attention to Jessica, whom he had welcomed into the lounge. With a polite nod, he gestured for her to take a seat, his expression calm but attentive.

"Thank you for joining me, Jessica," Reed began, his tone gentle as he prepared to delve into their conversation. "I understand that this must be a difficult time for you, but I'm hoping you can provide us with some insight into the events leading up to Spencer Leaf's murder."

Jessica's demeanor shifted slightly at Reed's words, her posture becoming defensive as she crossed her arms over her chest. "I've already told you everything I know," she insisted, her voice tinged with frustration. "I was just as shocked as anyone to learn of Spencer's death."

Reed studied Jessica carefully, noting the tension in her stance and the guardedness in her expression. It was clear she was hiding something, and he knew that getting to the truth would require a delicate approach.

"I understand that this is a difficult situation," Reed said, his tone soothing as he attempted to put Jessica at ease. "But we're simply trying to gather all the facts so that we can piece together what happened. Any information you can provide, no matter how small, could be helpful in our investigation."

Jessica hesitated for a moment, her gaze flickering uncertainly as she weighed her options. Finally, with a resigned sigh, she relented, her defenses beginning to crumble.

"I-I don't know if it's relevant, but..." Jessica began, her voice trailing off as she struggled to find the right words. "I did notice something strange the night of Spencer's murder. I saw someone lurking near the study window, but I didn't get a good look at their face."

Jessica's revelation piqued Reed's interest, causing his mind to race with possibilities. "Can you describe what you saw?" he asked, his voice eager as he leaned forward slightly.

Jessica shook her head, her expression troubled. "It was dark, and they were wearing a hooded jacket," she explained, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "I couldn't see much, but they seemed to be fidgeting with something."

Intrigued by Jessica's revelation, Inspector Reed leaned in slightly, his gaze focused intently on her as he probed for more details.

"And what happened after you saw this person near the study window?" Reed inquired, his tone gentle but insistent.

Jessica hesitated for a moment, her brow furrowing in thought as she searched her memory for the answer. "Honestly, I didn't think much of it at the time," she admitted, her voice tinged with regret. "I just assumed it was one of the staff or perhaps a guest who had stepped out for some air. I didn't want to make a fuss, so I just went to bed."

"Thank you for being forthcoming, Jessica," Reed acknowledged, his tone sincere as he expressed his gratitude. "Your cooperation is invaluable to our investigation."

Jessica nodded in acknowledgment, a faint smile touching her lips. "Of course, Inspector," she replied, her voice tinged with sincerity. "I just want to help in any way I can."

With that, Reed shifted the focus of their conversation, his keen eyes fixing on Jessica as he broached a new line of inquiry.

"Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few questions about your relationship with Alexander," Reed continued, his tone gentle but insistent. "Can you tell me how you two met and how long you've been together?"

Jessica's demeanor shifted slightly at Reed's question, a soft blush rising to her cheeks as she recalled fond memories. "Well, Alex and I met a few years ago through mutual friends," she began, her voice warm with affection. "We hit it off right away, and we've been together ever since. He's... he's really special to me."