Chapter Forty-Three: Frayed [Part 1]

Start from the beginning

"Hi." Derek finally spoke up.

"Hi." I responded flatly, avoiding his gaze. I slid the door shut behind me and ventured further into the loft.

"What happened?" He was quick to ask.

"They're at Beacon Lake Condos. They live there—in the penthouse. I woke up outside the building, walked inside, saw the Argent's name on a mailbox and then walk in the twins taking mail out of their own mailbox."

"Was there any more to it?"

I shook my head. "They were just talking—I'm assuming about the human sacrifices, or whatever the hell is going on. But it was just them discussing whether or not they should tell Deucalion." Derek scowled at the lack of information the dream gave. "I know it's not that helpful but..."
"No, it is. It gives us a staring point."

"I don't know why I couldn't have dreamed up their location a few months earlier."

"What about the other dream?"

"This one about Ennis dying? Yeah, still happening in graphic HD detail." I frowned, pictures of Ennis' bloody and lifeless eyes flashing in my memory.

"Anything else?"

"No Derek, nothing else. No dreams warning me when the Alphas are going to kill us and especially no dreams warning me that you were kicking Isaac out from living here." I crossed my arms tightly over my chest.

"It's too much with Cora here." He sheepishly admitted.

"Right, it's too much with Cora here...you're doing this to protect us...should I name off every other excuse you're trying to come up with as I speak?" I rose a brow. Derek quietly sighed.

"Hayley..." He stepped forward, closing the gap between us. "I need you to understand..."

"Just because you push us farther away doesn't mean that's going to change anything. The Alphas are going to try to go after us one way or another. You're just..." I sighed. "You're just making things more difficult, Derek. We should be working together. Not being pushed away."

Derek pursed his lips tightly together. He rose a hand to my face, tucking a brown stand of hair behind my ear, and cupping my cold cheek with his warm palm. His eyes melted into mine and I knew he was trying his best to apologize, to explain the he thinks he's doing the right thing, but he didn't know how. I leaned my face into his palm, savoring the moment no matter how much my heart hurt. 

"Hayley..." He began.

"I hate to interrupt you two love birds." A jarring voice rang. My head whipped over to glare at the stairs, watching Peter saunter down the steps. Derek and I quickly stepped away from each other. My jaw clenched as Peter hit the bottom step, a suspicious grin plastered to his lips.

"What do you want?" Derek asked, his once soft gaze now hard and serious.

"Derek, is that any way to talk to your uncle?"

"What do you want?" He repeated his words slower.

"Well I just came down here to say hello to dear sweet Hayley." Peter clasped his hands tighter as he eyed me. "And to figure out what these certain little dreams she speaks of are." His smile stayed frozen on his face. My cheeks burned red, not realizing he had listed in on the conversation.

"What?" I kept a straight face. 

"Even if I couldn't hear the sound of your heartbeat, you're not a great liar." Peter stepped forward. "So let me ask again, what am I missing here, Hayley?"

"Go back upstairs." Derek ordered. 

"If my memory serves me correctly, I did manage to knick you with some claws before Derek decided to murder me."