I- KAILANI

KAILANI WASN'T SURE WHAT to do. Unfortunately for her, that just felt nostalgic.

She woke up on a bus under someone's arm, also holding his right hand. Her head was on his shoulder. His hand was tucked under her shirt, his bare fingertips resting on her waist. Kailani stayed in the position. In any other situation, she would've thrown the guy next to her over her shoulder onto the seat in front, but that would have caused much confusion among the students and likely would not end well.

Her mind tried its best to process as she looked around the bus.

There were around fifty kids in front of her seat. A few were listening to iPods or sleeping, and the rest were talking to each other, but the majority were yelling across the bus as if they had never gotten to choose seats. Some kid behind Kailani was kicking her seat, which pissed her off terribly. Some of the kids were fourteen, fifteen, a few maybe older, and Kailani was...

Okay, what the hell. I don't even know my own age.

She looked down at what she was wearing. A purple shirt faded from years of use, dark blue jeans, a purple varsity jacket with the letters UNR in the corner, and a golden locket, which was tied around her neck. Her shoes were simple black sneakers, and the ends of the shoelaces were dull, like someone had repeatedly scraped them on a concrete pavement.

She looked out the window. There were mountains she could see in the distance from miles of desert. The sky was a bright blue, but the climate looked fairly cold.

I'm pretty sure I don't live in the desert.

In her reflection, she took a look at herself. She had dark brown hair up in a ponytail, hazel-colored eyes, somewhat tanned skin, and based on her estimate, she was around fifteen. A silver hairpin with blue roses and green leaves rested im her hair. Along the right side of her face was a two-to-three inch long scar-likely from her childhood - again, she couldn't remember.

Kailani turned her head to look at the boy next to her. He was asleep. He had good looks, she knew that. He had blonde cropped hair, somewhat pale skin, and a small scar on the corner of his lip. What he was wearing was definitely not fit for the current weather- a shirt just like Kailani's, a black and yellow windbreaker, blue trainers, and jeans.

For some reason, Kailani knew (or remembered) his name- it was Jason. Jason Grace. She wished she could remember her own last name, but alas.

All of a sudden, Jason started to stir. Kailani sat silently and waited for him to awake. He opened his eyes, which were a striking electric blue.

He blinked in evident confusion. He looked to his right to see who was under his arm and quickly pulled it away when he saw who it was. Kailani didn't hesitate to pull her own hand back now that he was awake.

"Hi. Do you know what we're doing here?" She asked.

"Um, I'm-I'm sorry," Jason stuttered, "I-I don't -"

"Jason, Kailani, you guys okay?" A voice anterior of them asked.

Kailani turned to the seat in front, where a girl she didn't know looked at them, her arms crossed over the top of the seat.

She had dark chocolate-brown hair that was cut choppy and uneven, with thin strands braided down the sides. She was really pretty (Kailani half-hoped she had ended up under the wrong arm), with kaleidoscope eyes, turning from blue to brown to green. She had golden brown skin, giving off a Native American look- Kailani quickly shut that thought away. She didn't want to seem racist or something, even if she said nothing out loud.

"No, not really," Kailani started. She was going to explain what was happening with her mind before a teacher from the front of the bus interrupted her.