Chap VIII - An Empire and A Shogunate

The Empire of Parpaldia, which resides on the Third Civilization Area, the Phillades continent, is the fifth superpower of the New World, ranked below Leifor. Parpaldia is known as the youngest of all superpowers, being 23 years as a superpower, while the rest are beyond that.

In recent periods, the relationship between Parpaldia and many neighboring and barbarian countries has soured, many of which have severed its relations with the Empire. This promptly caused a short crisis, with the loss of trading partners. At the same time, the government of Parpaldia implies imperialism and expansionism, which haven't been seen since the early reign of Emperor Julius VI.

The sudden change of ideologies made Parpaldia more aggressive than ever, with oppression of colonized citizens and small and weak countries, aggressive diplomacy, and subjugation of many lesser states and countries that refused the offer, demand, and proposal of the Empire.

The absence of the Emperor also had a massive effect on Parpaldian society. The Parpaldian Emperor has given trust to the supreme governing body after the Emperor himself, the Royal Court, to govern the Empire, while the Emperor took what was said to be a "long rest." It was the time when the Royal Court took over as the official governing body of Parpaldia. Parpaldia became aggressive, thirsting for glory and gold.

While being the fifth superpower, the new look of Parpaldia wanted to be on top. To be the conqueror and ruler of the world, wanting to surpass the four superpowers. Despite the fact that Parpaldia is still being considered the weakest superpower, with technology level being the most primitive among the superpower standards, the Parpaldia new dream stood strong.

In recent times, around three or four days ago, Parpaldian diplomacy reached Fenn, a small island country west of the Philippines. The Parpaldians offered and proposed, or rather demanded, Fenn to lease its land, a 400-square-kilometer area, to Parpaldia to set up a military base and a settlement. However, Fenn, in a very polite way, refused and rejected the offer and proposal.

The duration of the lease is extremely ridiculous, at 498 years for the land. On Earth, it might be considered crazy, even for the British, as the British Empire had Hong Kong leased for them for 99 years under the Second Convention of Peking, yet Britain still complied with the convention.

The offer itself is to grant Fenn semi-civilized country status, which is a very tantalizing offer. At first, the Parpaldian delegation believed that Fenn would comply and agree. Fenn refused in a very polite way.

Parpaldia gave a second proposal with the same offer and leasing duration; the only change is the area size being reduced to 360 square kilometers. Fenn rejected. For Fenn, it's very unequal, unworthy, yet prejudicing Fenn very much, with a high chance of being exploited by Parpaldia.

This is causing a growing conflict between Parpaldia and Fenn. Many expected a war, which is now imminent, and many also expected Fenn to fall and be subjugated to Parpaldia.

--------------------------------------
14 January 1941
14 Equraius 1637

Empire of Parpaldia
City of Esthirant

Third Foreign Department Building

"They WHAT?!"

The Third Foreign Affairs Department, a branch of the Parpaldian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, is responsible for and in charge of diplomacy in countries outside civilized areas, basically barbarian countries. Previously, this branch of the foreign ministry was responsible for outside civilized areas diplomacy in a civilized way. With Parpaldia changing its ideologies, the Third Foreign Affairs Department is forced to imply aggressive diplomacy by bringing gunboat diplomacy to the outside civilized area countries.