CHAPTER EIGHT

Itachi and Rei were walking side by side as they traversed the city streets toward the Uchiha compound. It was early in the evening, and the night sky was slowly changing colors as dusk approached.

They kept a comfortable silence for a while, not wanting to ruin the atmosphere with unnecessary talking, until Itachi decided to break the silence.

"Are you feeling a bit anxious?" he asked, keeping his voice soft and gentle.

Rei thought about it for a moment and then gave a slight nod in affirmation.

Itachi could sense his nervousness, and he decided to try and alleviate some of that anxiety.

"It's understandable to be nervous about visiting the Uchiha compound," he said in an understanding and compassionate tone. "But I assure you that everything will be fine. It's a safe and secure place, and you have nothing to fear there."

After hearing that, Rei stopped walking and looking at Itachi, the other boy stopped walking too after sensing something weird going in Rei's mind.

Itachi looked at him confused. "Is everything ok?" Itachi said Asking, Rei shook his head and said "I'm not nervous because of the Uchiha, I know they had nothing to do with the Nine Tails attack and those rumours are completely false so don't doubt me please"

Itachi looked rather shocked at Rei, he didn't think the boy would say that.

Rei looked at Itachi "It's me" then he looked away breaking eye contact with itach "people here despise me for being an outsider and they think I'm dangerong the village by living here and me being close to the Uchiha will do no good to the clan"

"Society can be cruel and unjust towards those who don't fit in with the norm," Itachi said, wishing he could erase the hate that people had for one another simply because they were different.

"But you have nothing to worry about," Itachi continued, trying his best to comfort Rei in the midst of the harsh reality they both found themselves in.

Rei didn't say anything and Itachi could sense Rei's frustration and concern, his worries and fears about more rumors spreading and causing more problems for the Uchiha clan.

He understood his concern and wanted to help alleviate some of his anxiety, but it was difficult given the fact that they really had no control over what other people said or did.

Itachi thought for a moment, trying to find the right words to say.

"Do you think that other people's words can really affect the Uchiha?" he asked, wanting to see what Rei's mindset was about the whole thing.

"Yes"

"I see," Itachi replied, now understanding Rei's deep concern.

In a few years, the situation could become even worse, causing more rumors and gossip to spread, which would only increase the anti-Uchiha sentiment among the villagers.

It was a crucial situation. Rei knew he had little wiggle room to make a difference before the situation got out of control.

Rei paused for a moment before speaking again.
"I fear that if I become close to the Uchiha, it might cause others to start believing the rumors and further increase the hatred towards them. I don't want the Uchiha to face any more discrimination because of me."

Rei let out a deep sigh, "I just don't know what to do."

Itachi's brow furrowed as he thought about Rei's words. He had a point; it was possible that becoming close to the Uchiha could cause even more speculation, and that would only lead to more discrimination.