The Eight Lacrima

Chapter 25 - The Eight Lacrima

"REQUIP!"

Erza shot forward to grab Jellal from Midnight her sword slashes were effortlessly reflected, drawing mockery from the sinister mage.

"Is it time for you, already?" He jested as her sword went to strike at him again.

However, as she did, Midnight paused, tilting his head as if sensing something amiss. It was then you appeared, weaving spears of ice around him in a calculated assault. Erza rushed passed him to Jellal, he watched with a blank stare.

"What? Need him so bad? He didn't even last a minute against me." You ignored him and sent an unblockable wave of ice, it usually hit the target each time.

Yet, to your surprise, he remained unmoved, the wave warped around him and pushed back to you.

You easily stopped the spell and looked at the man irritated. "I thought you understood by now. None of your magic can touch me." He taunted both of you with his superior magic.

"Annoying human." His mockery only fueled your determination, prompting you to charge forward and deliver a punch. It was a move born of frustration though it soon changed to curiosity, for you had noticed that Midnight had finally reacted and dodged your attack.

Your eyebrow arched in perplexity until your crimson cloak suddenly morphed and constricted neck, strangling you. It was Midnight's doing, his dark magic ensnaring you in its grip.

Struggling for air, you felt a wave of panic, it brought you fears of Acnologia to feel so restricted. Midnight seemed pleased at your terrified eyes, he must have thought you were scared of him. You were far from it but made no move to fix that.

Erza swiftly came to your aid, slicing through the constricting fabric with her sword. She dropped Jellal, who had been amidst the battle, rushing to your side with concern etched upon her features.

"Are you alright?" Erza's voice was laced with worry as she surveyed for any damage.

You nodded, though your expression soured at the sight of your ruined cloak, a precious gift from your villagers back home. "I'm sorry-" Erza began, but you cut her off with a snarl.

"Don't be! It's that bastard's fault," You spat, rising to your feet with determination.

You crack your knuckles with annoyance. "I tried to hit him earlier up close. He moved when I did. Let's try getting up close and overwhelming him." You suggest.

Erza nodded in agreement, and together you launched another assault on Midnight.

The man scoffed and pointed a finger at you both.

"Spiral Pain!" Erza's sword never made contact, it suddenly wrapped around your arm, you nearly let out a cry as the sharp weapon pierced your flesh making you clench your teeth.

Erza let go of the hilt as her own armor constricted tightly around her body. The unexpected turn left both of you incapacitated, falling to the ground in a premature defeat.

"That's it-" A sword whizzed past his face as he twisted Erza's armor, he released a low chuckle.

Midnight raised his hand up with a bored stare, "All of this talk, and you both are defeated already. I guess you lasted longer than Jellal though. Don't go dying yet, I need you both to keep me amused until we reach Cait Shelter." He prepared to attack again until he was interrupted.

"Why... are you attacking Cait Shelter?" Jellal's voice cut through the chaos, directed at Midnight.

With a sinister grin, Midnight turned his focus to him, explaining the dark motive behind the assault. "The guild was formed by descendants of the Nirvit, an ancient race that created the destructive force known as Nirvana for the sake of peace. But soon after they had sealed it away, it was too dangerous. We're going to reclaim control of Nirvana and wreak havoc upon the world. Starting with the guild that stopped it first." He revealed as he sauntered over to the weakened man.