The Family

Chapter 5 - The Family

The town of Aquaria was a quaint town. Its waters are filled with docks and its forest encircled by farms. Its people lived in high regard for the land. They cherished the icy fruits the trees grew and felt blessed by the beautiful scenery all around them. It was all thanks to their guardian, Frosta.

Visitors that came were never told of the legend of the town to keep them from ruining tradition.

Every year on the hottest day on the beach, dating all the way back to the founding of the village they'd go to the snowy cliff that towered over them. Inside resided their guardian. Settled inside a thick ice shell slept a dragon.

The villagers brought treasure every day in hopes that when the creature awoke it would accept their offerings of peace, grant them a single wish, and keep the town safe. They could only hope that was the outcome. They hoped when the last chunk of ice melted onto the ground the legend would commence.

_________________________________________

The town's beauty was treasured by the residents of the town. She had no goal to move as her family lived there for generations. The locals loved her. As not only was she stunning but sickeningly kind as well. The locals had to prevent her from getting walked over all the time. It was easy to say she was a people pleaser.

There was a fisherman, one that kept to himself. He was great at his job earning the respect of the others in the town. He was quite the looker himself but the immense tension he had about him scared off any possible suitor. But it was not a surprise when the well-known h/c haired woman found him and gave him the time of day.

He'd walk from the docks, pack his gear, and walk through the town, before going to his home and she'd come along to chat his ear off. The other residents watched as he looked visibly uncomfortable around her. While she wore the purest pointy smile asking him about his adventures. Only to be met with a closing door to the face.

The residents always felt bad but they didn't blame the man the girl was always a bit strange. Not because of her odd eye color of two shades of blue. It wasn't her impossible strength as she proved to every man there just how much more she could carry.

It was how it felt like she was above them all when she looked at them in amusement. Something about her was unnatural but alluring at the same time.

So it was not a big surprise when the fisherman eventually stopped slamming the door and soon held it open for her. The residents found the couple to be quiet the pair. The awkward mute and the ball of energy. Soon after the girl officially settled down with the fisherman, the residents thought it was time to tell him of the legend of the town.

Once the words fell upon the couple's ears the woman's expression went blank and she held her stomach. She surely heard of the tale before the residents assumed she was scared of how her husband would react. As most newcomers left or didn't believe it. They soon noticed that it was time. The woman was giving birth. The people all took her to the town doctor who successfully delivered the children.

Although when the doctor came back the mother and her children were gone. The residents couldn't believe it. The town's beauty just suddenly disappearing? The fisherman couldn't believe it either.

The town grew into a depression for the missing woman while the man made his way to the sacred cavern upon the cliff. He brought a mysteriously large egg he found while fishing to gift the dragon. He hoped to make a wish. To bring his wife back, but he found far more.