Chapter 10. Beautiful, But Cold. Like Snow.

If someone had told me a week ago that I would get shot at, pursued by killers, consensually kidnapped by a hot assassin, and face death multiple times all in one day, I'd laugh at them

If someone had told me a week ago that I would get shot at, pursued by killers, consensually kidnapped by a hot assassin, and face death multiple times all in one day, I'd laugh at them. I would have told them: “Are you crazy? We're not in an action movie! Besides, what would I even do to get myself in that situation?”

Yet… all of that is happening to me, and the funny thing is, I didn't do anything wrong.

We had stopped at an old payphone like Ava promised. I called my best friend Mina, because for one, my parents are on an off-grid retreat so they're unreachable anyway. And two… I didn't want to raise an alarm.

As much as my moral values are screaming in horror at Ava's actions, a part of me finds it... hot. After all, she's protecting me. And she killed her friend for me.

What is going on with me? What are these vicious thoughts in my mind?

Nothing makes sense to me right now. I mean, I could have escaped while this... killer lady was knocked out. But I'm here because of... what? I don't even know what's happening. I don't understand these… repulsive feelings inside of me.

I should be scared, terrified, disgusted by Ava, who represents everything I despise. And yet... yet... I'm pulled towards her like a magnet.

We're in the flower shop, surrounded by rows and rows of wooden garden boxes painted in a deep, mahogany color. Varieties of pink flowers such as Roses and Geraniums fill the air with their sweet smell. This place always makes me happy. After all, that's what my favorite color represents: happiness and peace.

The front of the shop is no bigger than a van. The back leads to a spacious garden that is protected by a greenhouse cover during the cold, winter months. But since it's late spring, the open roof allows the evening sun to caress the flowers with its warm rays.

Ava and I are sitting on the ground, facing each other. My backpack lies at my side while Ava keeps grimacing every time she looks around. My best guess is there's too much pink, and I'm secretly enjoying her discomfort.

I watch Ava as she takes care of her hurt stomach. Blood had soaked the entire gauze again after the chase. Despite my pleas to help her change it, she coldly declined. So I just handed her clean wraps and alcohol which I had stashed into my backpack back at the cabin.

I had seen her take two more of those red and blue pills, which she said helps replenish her energy and remove the pain from her body. That is something that I don't understand at all. But they seem to work since she was able to do all those stunts during the chase, so I don’t question it.

With a shiver, the images of the two dead bodies come into mind. Lena wasn't that terrible, I guess. Ava had covered her with curtains. I think she did it so I wouldn't have to see the body, but why would she do that? For me? Despite what she said earlier, apparently she still blames me for “barging into her life” as she puts it.