Chapter 2. Should Be Easy-Peasy

I wake up to an acute pain in my lower neck

I wake up to an acute pain in my lower neck. Sitting up with a groan, I rub the aching spot and roll my neck around as my eyes slowly blink open. The light sounds of cracking bones reach my ears as the tension relieves. I move my head up and down until all that remains is a numb tingling sensation.

With a loud sigh, my vision gradually refocuses as I take in my surroundings. I'm sitting on a black walnut futon with a specific tiger pattern sewed into the seats which looks awfully familiar. I glance around and notice the maroon wallpaper, chestnut grandfather clock with the pendulum swinging ominously, and the very distinctive statue of a phoenix holding a knife in its beak.

"Oh look, the sleeping beauty is finally awake," a recognizable rough woman's voice says behind me. I whip my head around and find my master's apathetic face looking at me. I take a moment to recover from the sudden movement as my head becomes a little dizzy.

"Eve?" I blink. That's when I notice that we are in her office/bedroom. Not again... "What... what happened?"

"I don't know. You tell me what happened." She shrugs as she walks around the couch and stops in front of me. My eyes travel from her shiny black pumps and black trousers to her charcoal square shoulder jacket over a silk white blouse with the top buttons loose, revealing her smooth tan chest. The diamond necklace adorning her neck compliments her attire as the ambient lighting accentuates her luscious raven hair and high cheekbones.

"Did... did you shoot me with a fucking dart? And did you... follow me?" I glare into her cold, gray eyes.

She tilts her head to the side with a smirk. "Language, young lady. And yes. Yes, I did."

"Why?"

"Why? You really think I don't keep my eye on you sometimes when my gut tells me that you're liable to get into trouble again?" She raises her eyebrow. "What I would like to know is why you let that little bitch go. I... I don't understand. Why the fuck did you release her?"

I can't answer. I can't afford to. I mean, what, am I supposed to tell my master that I couldn't kill that K-pop twig because she made me feel... things? Stuff that I haven't felt since... my mother died?

"You had no problem in killing that little girl a while back," Eve continues. "I actually didn't think you would have the guts to do it, but you did. True, that could have been avoided if you were more careful in the spot you picked and the way you handled the assignment. However, you still did what was required back then with zero hesitation."

I glance down and, to my surprise, I notice that I am wearing gray sweatpants and a pink sweater instead of my black cargo pants and tactical jacket. I cringe at the vivid pink color, as it reminds me of something sweet and light.

"What... where are my clothes?"

"You were soaking wet," Eve scoffs. "I wasn't going to let you ruin my couch. Plus, I didn't need you catching a cold on me," she adds.