Chapter 22: Chocolate

Start from the beginning

"But how did they lose the artifact?" Al asked, leaning on the side of the fireplace. "Something so valuable, after all the trouble of breaking into the Royal Museum for it?"

There was silence, then Leon said, "Greed."

They all looked at him. He continued, "someone, or several people, wanted the artifact all to themselves, an argument ensued where they lost the artifact."

That was a possible theory. Although Summer still didn't understand... "What's so special about that old thing anyway?"

Her question was met by averted eyes.

"That is confidential knowledge, unfortunately," Leon said.

Hmm. Summer was intrigued. But she shook off her curiosity. There was no need for her to know.

No need at all.

The witness joined them in the circular room shortly after. One look at Summer and he shook his head. He didn't recognize her. She felt relieved as she walked back to her room. It was so anticlimactic after everything she had been through to get to this point.

Summer knew it would not be enough to absolve her of all suspicion, especially in the eyes of people like Al who didn't know her and had no reason to trust her. But she could do nothing about that for the moment. She would give Leon time to solve the mystery.

Meanwhile, she was meeting up with Rose in her room. Ida had informed her that the young mother would come late in the afternoon. She couldn't wait to see her friend. Back in her room, however, she found a covered bowl on her bedside table. Carefully taking the lid off, Summer blinked at the contents: roughly cut dark brown squares the size of a coin. Summer couldn't keep the grin off her face. Her heart fluttered oddly in her chest.

Chocolate.

*** **** ***

Rose's face breathed new life in Summer's soul. Her friend looked better than ever before. She didn't bring Berry along, the boy was taking his afternoon nap. The two of them sat in the chairs by the cold fireplace, the afternoon sun warming them.

"Felix said he needs as much rest and nutrition as possible in the first few weeks of the treatment," Rose said, her cheeks glowing with health. "Oh, I can't wait for you to see him, Summer. He's gotten so much better already. I'm very grateful."

Summer smiled. "Ida said you found work as a seamstress. I knew you always loved working on clothes. You'll be spectacular."

"It is lovely," Rose said, putting the tea cup on the table. Lily was kind enough to bring them cookies and tea and give them privacy to talk. "The head seamstress I'm working for is impossibly sweet. She's a grandmother, but all her children live in other cities, so she's very fond of Berry."

"That's great!" Summer said, she scooted forward in her seat, her heart aflutter with excitement. "By the time Berry fully recovers, I'll probably be free to go. I've been thinking, you already have your work, I can find work, too, in the city. We'll be able to rent a house, the three of us, right? Between the two of us, one can watch over Berry while the other works. I can find a night job, that way you can have evenings with Berry and work the days..."

Summer's voice died down when she noticed the discomfort on her friend's face. Rose's smile faltered. Crossing her arms, she pressed further back into her seat. "Actually, there is something I was meaning to bring up."

"What is it?" Summer frowned. "Is something wrong? Is someone bothering you? I can take care-"

"No, that's not it." Rose took a deep breath, then blurted out. "I'm getting married."