The longing for a mother (February 1922)

Start from the beginning

Anna felt Emma's longing for a mother figure in her life and gently hugged her. She understood how important it was for a young girl to have a loving female figure.

"You have me," Anna said softly. "I will always be here for you."

Mister Bates watched the scene silently. Anna felt the weight of the silence in the room as Emma slowly released herself from her hug. She wiped the last tears from her eyes and tried to regain her composure.

"Will you go on ahead?" Anna asked her husband. "I'll come with Emma later."

Bates nodded understandingly and got up from his seat. Anna and Emma were left alone.

"Did you know my mama?" Emma asked curiously

"No," Anna shook her head.

"But Dad has worked at Downton already. So you must know her," Emma pressed for an answer, but Anna once again just shook her head.

"Did my Dad never mention or bring Mama here? Did Mama never pick up Dad from work?"

"Mister Barrow – Thomas – strictly separates family and work, except for you. He never mentioned her, and I don't know her either."

"Nothing at all? You absolutely know nothing?" Emma realized, "Not even that Mama's name was Martha?"

"If you want to know something about her, you'll have to ask Thomas. I can't give you any answers."

Emma sighed, "Dad only tells me what I already know," she lowered her gaze and nervously played with her fingers, "I want to know who she was and what she looked like. I want to learn more about her than just her name or that she liked baking cakes."

Flashback 1915

"What you write?" asked 3-year-old Emma with her sweet, melodic voice. She sat on a chair next to the housekeeper, her legs swinging happily back and forth.

Mrs. Hughes smiled gently and explained, "I wrote that you miss him very much and that we pray every day for his safe return home."

Emma nodded solemnly, as if she could understand every single letter on the paper. "My picture?" she then asked, proudly holding up the self-drawn picture of Downton Abbey to Mrs. Hughes. The green sun shone on the picture, a large pink tree stood tall, and next to it sat a blue dog. Next to them stood a little yellow girl, representing Emma.

"I'll put your picture in the letter," assured the housekeeper, carefully folding Emma's artwork to include it in the letter.

"Ask Daddy coming home?" Emma inquired, her big eyes shining with excitement.

"Yes, I did," replied Mrs. Hughes lovingly, stroking Emma's hair.

"I baked a cake with Mrs. Patmore. Daddy sending cake?" Emma continued, her thoughts bubbling out.

"I mentioned it, but the cake won't survive the journey to France. You can bake him a cake when he comes home," explained Mrs. Hughes patiently.

"I can do a somer-sault," Emma suddenly exclaimed excitedly. She jumped up from her seat and performed a somersault. Then she urged the housekeeper, "Write too!"

Mrs. Hughes sighed slightly amused and added the somersault to the letter.

"Anna, you wanted to go to the village," Mrs. Hughes addressed the maid, "Could you please drop the letter in." But before she could hand over the letter, Emma snatched it from her hands and declared determinedly, "My letter!"

"I can take Emma with me if you allow," offered Anna, and Mrs. Hughes nodded in agreement.

The three of them set off for the village. Emma skipped ahead with the letter in her hands, while Anna and John Bates strolled slowly behind.