Two

The morning sun cast a golden hue through the curtains as Sarah sat at her kitchen table, a stack of case files spread out before her. She had spent the earlier hours poring over old police reports, searching for any clue that might lead her closer to the truth behind her sister's murder.

As she sipped her tea, Sarah's mind raced with possibilities. Could there have been a witness that the police overlooked? Was there evidence that had been overlooked or ignored? Or perhaps, most chillingly, had Emily's killer been right under their noses all along?

Lost in her thoughts, Sarah barely noticed the knock at the door until it echoed through the quiet apartment, pulling her back to reality. With a frown, she rose from her seat and made her way to the door, wondering who could be calling on her at this early hour.

Opening the door, Sarah was greeted by the somber faces of two police officers, their badges glinting in the morning light. Her heart skipped a beat as a wave of unease washed over her – had they discovered something new about Emily's case?

"Sarah Collins?" one of the officers spoke, his voice grave.

Sarah nodded, her throat tight with apprehension. "Yes, that's me. What can I do for you?"

The officers exchanged a look before the one who had spoken cleared his throat. "We're here about a recent case we're investigating," he explained, his tone cautious. "We thought you might want to take a look."

Sarah gave a slight nod again, her eyebrows furrowed for a second. "Alright. Show me."

Curiosity piqued, Sarah followed the officers down to the street where a small crowd had gathered around a cluster of police cars. As she approached, her breath caught in her throat at the sight that greeted her – a body, sprawled out on the pavement, missing a left hand, drowned in a pool of blood.

Instinctively, Sarah's gaze was drawn to the victim's face, her heart lurching in her chest as she realized who it was. It was one of Emily's old friends, a familiar face from their childhood neighborhood.

Dread settled like a weight in the pit of Sarah's stomach as she turned to the officers, her voice barely above a whisper. "What happened?"

The officers exchanged a grim look before one of them spoke, his voice heavy with regret. "It looks like a homicide," he said quietly. "And from the looks of it, it's not the first one."

Sarah's blood ran cold as the implications of his words sank in. Could it be possible that Emily's killer had struck again, after all these years? And if so, what did it mean for her own search for answers?

With a sinking feeling in her heart, Sarah knew that she was about to be drawn into a deadly game of cat and mouse. But she also knew that she couldn't turn away, not when the lives of innocent people were at stake.

Steel­ing her­self for the chal­lenges that lay ahead, Sarah took a deep breath and stepped for­ward, ready to face whatever truths awaited her in the shadows.