Prologue

Sarah stood in the doorway of their shared bedroom, her gaze fixed on her twin sister, Emily, who was hastily gathering her things. Tears welled in Sarah's eyes as she struggled to find the right words to say.

"Emily, please," Sarah pleaded, her voice trembling with emotion. "Don't go out tonight. It's not safe."

Emily paused, her expression a mix of frustration and determination. She turned to face Sarah, her eyes softening with sympathy. "Sarah, you worry too much," she said, trying to sound reassuring. "I'll be fine. I promise."

But Sarah couldn't shake the feeling of dread that gripped her heart. She stepped closer to Emily, her hand reaching out to touch her arm. "I have a bad feeling about tonight," she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper. "Please, just stay home with me. We can watch a movie or something."

Emily hesitated, her resolve wavering for a moment. She knew how much her sister's anxiety affected her, but she also didn't want to miss out on the night's plans with her friends. "Sarah I'm starting to think you're going crazy," she said gently, offering a sad smile. "But I can't bail on my friends now. I'll only be out for a few hours, and then I'll be back home safe and sound, I promise."

Sarah's grip tightened on Emily's arm, her eyes pleading. "Please, Em, I don't know what I would do if something happened to you," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion.

Emily's heart ached at the worry etched on her sister's face. She reached up to cup Sarah's cheek, her touch gentle and reassuring. "I'll always be careful," she said softly, her voice filled with sincerity. "And I'll be back before you know it."

Reluctantly, Sarah released her sister's arm, knowing she couldn't stop her from going. She watched as Emily gathered her things and disappeared out the door, leaving Sarah with a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach and a silent prayer on her lips for her sister's safety.