Achilles (10)

Our friendship blossomed after that afternoon, sudden and vibrant like spring floods surging down from the mountains. One day, we'd find ourselves splashing in the cool embrace of the Aegean, the next scaling the gnarled branches of ancient olive trees. We invented games, a whirlwind of races and playful tumbles that left us breathless and exhilarated. Lazy afternoons found us sprawled on the warm sand, a playful game of guessing each other's thoughts filling the air.

"The falcon we saw this morning," I'd declare, a mischievous grin tugging at my lips.

A smile would light up Patroclus' face. "The one with the piercing yellow eyes?"

Or, "The boy with the wobbly tooth!" I'd announce, amusement bubbling in my voice.

Patroclus would chuckle, "The one who trips over his own shadow?"

"Dinner!" I'd exclaim, sending a playful punch at his arm.

As we swam, played, or simply talked, an unfamiliar feeling would wash over me. It wasn't quite fear, but it filled me with a curious intensity, a tightness that rose in my chest. It wasn't tears, though it came with a sudden rush, a fleeting brightness against the usual dullness. Hunger, fatigue, illness – none of these seemed to explain it. It was something altogether new, a sensation that bloomed within me whenever I was with Patroclus.

He became my patient instructor in the art of skipping stones, sending flat pebbles skimming gracefully across the water's surface. In return, I revealed the secrets of whittling, transforming simple wood into intricate shapes under his curious gaze.

One evening, I picked up his mother's lyre, the polished wood cool against my fingers. The melody that flowed from its strings filled the room, a melancholic tune that spoke of faraway lands and forgotten love. Patroclus watched, mesmerized, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

When it was his turn, his fingers fumbled awkwardly over the intricate strings. The resulting cacophony drew a sigh of exasperation from our music teacher, but it mattered little to me. "Play again," Patroclus whispered, a hint of determination hardening his jaw.

And so I did, the melody filling the room once more, this time carrying a new undercurrent – the nascent bud of a connection blooming between us, a silent promise of countless shared moments yet to come.

Yhe summer sun blazed overhead, its relentless heat a stark contrast to the turmoil brewing within Patroclus. It had been over a year since his exile, a year of forced separation and introspection. Now, finally, he unburdened himself, confessing the dark secret that had haunted him for so long. The tale of the boy, the confrontation, the tragic end – it all spilled out in a torrent of choked words and shaky breaths.

Silence descended as he finished, heavy with unspoken emotions. I listened intently, my own emotions a tangled mess within me. When he finally fell silent, his eyes searching mine for judgment, I asked the question that hung heavy in the air.

"Why didn't you say you were defending yourself?" My voice was low, laced with a quiet concern.

He shook his head, a defeated sigh escaping his lips. "I don't know," he rasped, his voice raw with emotion.

My mind raced with possibilities. "Or you could have lied," I offered, the thought surprising even me as it emerged from the depths of my own troubled conscience. "Said you found him already dead."

His stunned expression mirrored the shock I felt at my own words. The simplicity of the lie hung in the air, a stark contrast to the agonizing weight of truth Patroclus had carried for so long. He could have lied. He could have walked away, a prince restored.

And then, the truth hit him with the force of a tidal wave. If he had chosen that path, I wouldn't be here beside him. Our friendship, this bond forged in shared experiences and quiet understanding, would have never existed. The realization dawned on his face, a mixture of gratitude and despair.

"You would not have lied," he stated, the words heavy with certainty.

I shook my head, a wry smile playing on my lips. "No," I admitted. Honesty, even in the face of consequences, was ingrained in my very being.

"What would you have done?" His question hung in the air, a challenge to my own untested moral compass.

I closed my eyes, struggling to imagine myself in his position. The arrogance that came so easily to me, the entitlement of a prince born to greatness – could it have been overcome in the face of such a threat?

"I don't know," I confessed, frustration edging into my voice. "I can't imagine it. The way the boy spoke to you..." I trailed off, unable to articulate the unfamiliar emotions that swirled within me.

"No one has ever tried to take something from me," I finally added, the words a stark admission of my sheltered existence.

A flicker of surprise crossed Patroclus' face. "Never?" he echoed, disbelief coloring his voice.

"Never," I repeated, the weight of my own privilege settling on me like a suffocating cloak. Silence descended once more, this time heavy with introspection. We sat beneath the shade of the tree, the oppressive summer heat a distant echo to the turmoil that burned within us. Patroclus' confession had shattered a piece of my naivety, forcing me to confront the harsh realities of the world beyond the gilded cage of my princely existence. And in that shared quietude, a new understanding bloomed between us, a bond forged not just in friendship, but in the shared burden of truth.