If only under better circumstances.

He walked you towards the group, keeping an arm around your waist to keep you at his side, and normally, the butterflies in your stomach would make you smile but now you just had to hold back your puke.

Cyno's eyes were red; he'd been crying as well, for his friend and Collei. He tried to hide it, but you noticed the wobble in his voice. "We were just talk- taking about the case."

"How is it?" You asked, your voice barely above a whisper and Alhaitham had to hide the way he almost let out a tear from that.

Hearing you so broken just killed him.

"We've got a few ideas," Anton sighs, dragging a hand down his face. He looked like he hadn't shaved in days.

You looked at all of them and noticed that all looked absolutely horrible; the last week had not done them well. Alhaitham was slumping and slouching, something he never does unless he's with you. Cyno's eyes were full of guilt, you noticed and you just didn't know what.

The eyebags on Gli had darkened insanely, her eyes drooping every second.

"What are they?" You asked, responding to Anton's answer.

In full honesty, you were a very petty person when it comes to someone who did you so dirtily; like Kokomi! You did not forget about how Anton treated you in the interrogation but now was not the time to send him daggers as glares and mock him.

The group looked around and they were all hesitant.

"She deserves to know," Gli spoke out of the group.

"Know what?"

"The stab wounds on Xiao matches the ones on Damslette's."

Your heart dropped at Alhaitham's words as you felt your chest suddenly become heavy. No. No there was no way.

Yet he proved your worst thoughts as he spoke again.

"Xiao's assailant is Damslette's killer."

Your hands were shaking again as your thoughts took you back to that night; the rain, her body, the note...

Pierro was right; it really was your fault.

"Not like the assailant is any better," Anton scoffed and everyone sent him glares

Your head snapped up to look at him. "You know who?!" You almost yelled, your mood changing in an instant of one to anger.

"We don't." Gli groaned. "It's just our main lead. We can't do anything until we have further proof that it's him."

Him?

"Who is it?! I need to know!" You demanded, eyes that were once full of tears now full of anger.

Cyno gulped as he and Alhaitham glanced at each other. Cyno had been intentionally ignoring you and giving you bullshit leads because he knew this would be your breaking point; he just didn't want to tell you until it was confirmed.

Albedo, once again, was the voice of reason. "She needs to know. It's not confirmed, only a lead."

"Y/N..." Cyno breathed out, a hitch in his breathing as he struggled to speak.

.

..

...

....

"It's Childe."

Your heart stopped.

Literally.

You struggled to breathe as every memory of him flashed in your head; all the times he broke into your home to steal food, the times he'd take you on late night drives, the times you cried in his arms or he cried in yours, all the times he was there for you when no one else was, defended you when no one else would and stayed with you when no one else could.

Spots took over your vision and you hadn't even realized you walked away, stumbling as you clutched onto your chest. You felt like you couldn't breathe, it was too much.

The spots took over your vision fully and the last thing you heard was a cry of your name before your body hit the floor.