22

Jennie Pov

"Hello, little sun?!" I whisper yell across the aisle.

My eyes are ready to pop out of my head but instead I turn around and head for the check out without acknowledging her for one more second. She trails behind me, unfazed and takes the book I'm holding out of my hands.

"Here, let me get that for you."

I snatch it back and glare at her. "No, thank you. I don't accept gifts from strangers." I bite back with a cocky smile.

She smiles, and then shrugs, stuffing her hands into her black jeans. "Suit yourself."

I swallow back the retort burning on my tongue and pay for the book, thanking the cashier and practically running for the door.

I was not ready for Lisa today.

By the time I'm outside, something dawns on me and I swivel back around almost bumping into her chest.

"Jesus, stalk much?" I say, annoyed.

I take a large step back and squint at her as if trying to catch her in a lie.

"How do you even know I'm hungover?"

I mean, I was a bit tipsy when she saw me last but not like, drunk drunk. I'm also side stepping the fact she knew where I just was right now.

She doesn't even bother to act guilty and gives me one of her unamused shrugs. "Cameras," she replies.

"You were watching me?" I say, trying for it not to come out as a shriek, but it's close. Seething, I fight the urge to punch her in the shoulder. "What? Worried I might get too close to Rosè again?" My question drips with indignation.

Lisa's full of arrogance when she opens her mouth next, "She looked like she had her hands full, actually."

I want to scream. I stomp my foot on the sidewalk instead, my hands in tight fists.

"You're actually insane, you know that?"

I turn around and try to get away but she's faster. Next thing I know she's pushing against the brick wall, her hands cradling my face, her hips rocking into mine. Shocked, I stare back at her, her roguish smirk leaving me breathless.

But then she turns serious, any hint of amusement gone. She leans closer, her lips brushing against mine and she says, "Forgive me, Jennie."

Her apology tastes almost sweet on my tongue.

But why does it also feel so loaded? Like she's apologizing for something much bigger than just this. I shiver as she breeches the final distance between us and finally presses her lips against mine.

Her mouth is searching and hungry as my lips open to her and I sink further into her touch. Her tongue sweeps in, wet and hot and eager. She swallows my moan, her hands dropping to my hips and then slowly trail up my stomach while her hips grind harder into mine.

"Please forgive me," she repeats, breathing against my lips. The sound of her voice finds a home inside my bones. Suddenly, the urge to cry overcomes me. A wave of emotions dragging me under as I struggle to breathe. She holds me tightly to her, biting my lower lip, tender but so full of need. I'm lost. Drowning, while her tongue finds my own, a desperate need pulling me even deeper into the depths.

Then, like a dagger to the heart, terror tears through the lust and my body locks up. A fear so visceral it ravages through me, making me gasp out for air and break away from our heated kiss.

The words stick in my throat while my eyes desperately search hers. Lisa says nothing but holds me closer, wrapping her arms around me before I have the time to push her away. She kisses my temple and caresses my hair as if soothing a frightened animal. My body begins to shake as she continues to hold me.