Chapter 50: Growth

Start from the beginning

Trinity shifted her feet impatiently. "But where are they?"

"Sinnoh," Professor Cerise said nearly instantly.

I raised one eyebrow at that. "How do you know?"

"Sinnoh houses many mysteries—it is the center of everything, after all. Besides, you said that the hidden society migrated all the way to Kanto, right, Vali? It's safe to assume they originated from there."

"Well, at least we have some clue."

"We can deal with that later," Trinity said. "Right now, we should rest, Vali.

"Pika," Pikachu agreed wearily.

I was exhausted too. We were nonstop running around while facing life-or-death situations during the research task. We deserved a break.

Professor Cerise smiled. "It was a job well done. You should all rest up. I will transfer your payment later."

***

At the hallway, Trinity stopped me in front of her room by placing her hand on my arm. Her face was unreadable.

"We need to talk."

"I already said I was going to tell you—"

"No, it's not just you," she said softly. "I'm going to tell you everything. No more hiding it."

I took a cautious pause, choosing my next words with great care. "Are you sure?"

Trinity nodded vehemently. "You deserve to know. If I can't trust you, I can't trust anyone."

My gaze softened and I nodded.

She glanced around and motioned me to her room. The two of us entered and closed the door behind us.

Trinity sat down on the bed and patted the spot next to her. I sat down, watching as she pulled Pikachu into her lap and rubbed his head idly. Pikachu's tension, which most likely stemmed from his Trainer's anxiety, seemed to fade away at Trinity's touch. Smiling, I did the same for Eevee, who made a low growling sound akin to a purr.

"When I was ten-years-old," Trinity began after a moment of silence, startling me; I hadn't expected her to begin speaking, "I was attacked by a strange Pokemon. It was a Nidoqueen. I was wandering through the woods near Viridian, when I saw a strange black-and-red light, the same color as the light at the back of my hand..."

As if on cue, the back of her hand began to glow the same color. She stared at it impassively. "It hit the Nidoqueen, and she was cloaked in a dark purple aura. She attacked me, and I couldn't do anything..."

A pained look appeared on Trinity's face, reflecting the fear she must have felt back then. I remembered feeling that same horror when the six-armed Pokemon attacked me...

"Did something save you?" I asked softly.

Trinity nodded. "A Pokemon appeared just when I thought I was going to die. It was golden, and it resembled an Arcanine. It was massive, too."

"An Arcanine? And it was golden—" I froze. "Wait."

Trinity's eyes widened, letting me know that she too made the connection. "Do you think..."

"It has to be."

"Now that I think about it... it makes sense. I didn't want to think about it before. I blocked my memory out, so it was all blurry until I consciously recalled it..." She shook her head. "Anyway, the Arcanine easily beat the Nidoqueen and it went back to the normal. A beam of the same black-and-red energy came out of it and shot into the sky."