Chapter 38: Spectacle

The light seeping from Hearthome Forest's exit seem to intensify the closer we got, making a sense of relief pour into me. The tenseness I felt suddenly washed away as we entered the blinding light.

"Ah, my eyes," I groaned, blinking my eyes—which became ensconced by the forest's darkness—until it no longer hurt to gaze beyond the impenetrable radiance.

I noticed that Trinity and Dawn faced similar struggles as they blinked their eyes as well.

"We finally made it," Trinity sighed in relief. "That was an adventure I never want to experience again."

Dawn snorted. "Never again."

"Piplup..." Piplup, who followed behind Dawn, shuddered his agreement.

"Vee?" Eevee looked at all of us with innocent eyes, not at all disturbed by what happened in the forest.

I reached into my pocket and felt the Marshadium-Z to assure that it was still there. This motion was not lost to Trinity, who eyed me curiously. I gave her a blank look until she stopped staring.

"Pet!" a Shuppet frantically floated past us, heading back into Hearthome Forest, only stopping to bow to me, much to Dawn and Trinity's confusion.

"What are you, the Ghost King?" Trinity muttered sarcastically.

"No, I'm Osiris, the Lord of the Dead," I rolled my eyes.

Before we knew it, more Ghost-type Pokemon floated past us, as if a predator lurked behind them and they were desperate to escape. But they seemed guided by something, like someone was calling them...

"Marshadow must be calling them back," I thought, glancing back at the Ghost-types, who were retreating back into the forest.

"Was it Marshadow?" Dawn asked.

"Probably," I feigned ignorance, shrugging.

"Marshadow?" Trinity queried.

"I'll tell you later."

We headed to the Pokemon Center, feeling the brisk breeze that wafted through the city, watching the Ghost-types that floated back to the forest. We noticed the destroyed buildings strewn around the city, displaying the mischief that the Ghost-types committed.

And to think that they were merely doing this in defense. It goes to show how aggressive they are to the forces that oppose them.

"Hello, welcome to the Pokemon Center," Nurse Joy's cheerful voice pervaded the Pokemon Center's peaceful ambiance as we entered. Her eyes lit up as she recognized me. "Oh! Vali! It is an honor to have you here! How may I help you and your companions!"

Yep, being Cynthia's child is sort of like this. Literally everyone recognizes you. I kind of missed when everyone hated me. I couldn't wait to get back to Vermilion City, away from this shitty region.

We gave Nurse Joy our Poke Balls and would get them back in about an hour. The only Poke Ball left in my belt was Marshadow's Poke Ball, which I stowed away before anyone could notice. I knew I would have to explain to Professor Cerise why I had already captured a Mythical Pokemon.

Before the next research task, I would research the various Legendary and Mythical Pokemon that existed in this world, especially Giratina.

Thinking back to Darkrai, I couldn't help but think that there was something missing to my memory... something I forced myself to forget, else I would truly go insane.

But what could I...

"No!"

A Gible bit on my arm playfully...