"You think several months with him will have affected the boy that bad?"

 I looked over at my mate. "Yes. You know what Alpha Richard was like. I can only imagine what he was like towards Charlie...And knowing him, he did treat him badly. Part of it being because he wasn't....his biological child."

 Jay looked at me, a look of shock and disgust on his face. He shook his head before focusing on the road ahead. "I know people do that...I don't know why or how they could even think about doing such things...I suppose I never will." His tone was quiet. I frowned as I saw a tear roll down his cheek. He quickly wiped it away, clearing his throat. "Sorry. Sometimes thinking about the past kinda...hurts..."

 "Jay...I'm your mate...You don't need to hide your feelings from me...If you need to cry, then cry." I said softly.

 He chuckled. "Not while I'm driving, beauty." I laughed. There's that sense of humor I've come to love so much. "So...Do you think they'll allow us to adopt him..? I mean, you're sixteen. We aren't married yet either."

 I gave him a small smile. "I hope they will. I know Charlie needs us as much as we need him." Jay looked at me with a small smile before looking back at the road.

 Finally, an hour and a half later, we'd arrived at the orphanage. We got out and stood there, staring at the building. My emotions were all over the place. And, from what I could feel from Jay, he was the same way. Though he was trying not to show it.

 I smiled at him, taking his hand in mine. He smiled back, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. "Shall we go in?" he asked.

 "We shall." I responded.

 With that, we went in. Jay went up to the woman behind the desk and told him who we were and why we were here. The woman had been expecting us. Joseph had apparently called her and told her we were coming. She was surprised that a couple as young as we are would even be thinking about adoption. 

 The woman led us into a room full of children. Jay's breathing quickened. Apparently, neither one of us thought about how hard being in a building full of orphans would be for him. It was sad to think about, honestly. All these poor children...Some so young...And some older children who may never get adopted...Jay's grip on my hand tightened. It hurt a little, but I didn't said anything.

 "That boy right over there is Charles. Are you sure you want him...? We have many others." the woman said. She motioned to a boy sitting by himself in a corner. He was blond and about twelve years old. That was Charlie...

 "We're sure. Just give us a moment with him, please." I smiled at her.

 "Of course, Miss Elena." 

 I looked up at my mate, who gave me a small smile. He was trying to show he was fine. But I knew him better than that. He nodded slowly and we walked over to the young boy. "Do you mind if we join you?" Jay asked. Charlie looked up, startled. He stared at us like we had just grown an extra head. He nodded slowly. Jay and I smiled and sat down beside the boy. 

 "My name is Elena. This is my mate, Jay. Are you Charlie?" I asked gently.

 Charlie's eyes were wide. "Ch-Charlie...?" he asked. "No one has called me that in a long time...I always liked it better than Charles but...yea..." Jay and I looked at each other, small frowns resting on our faces. "Why are you here...?"

 "What do you mean, Charlie?" Jay asked.

 "Most couples who come in here want to adopt a young, outgoing kid...Oh, there are the rare couples who want an older kid or even someone my age. But they all avoid me..."

 I listened the the boy's quiet words, tears forming in my eyes. The poor thing... "Well, we aren't avoiding you...In fact," I looked at Jay, who nodded, smiling. I smiled back and took Charlie's hand gently in my own. "We want to adopt you."

 "What...?" Charlie asked, his eyes wide.

 "I know we're young. And I know you've been through a lot. You've gone through things that...No child should have to go through. I understand a little of how you feel, Charlie." Jay said softly.

 "You do?" 

 Jay nodded. "Years ago, I had a family of my own. Parents, a sister, and a twin brother....We loved each other a lot..." Jay gave a sad smile as he thought about his family.

 Charlie frowned, looking up at him. "Did they die..?"

 "Yes...When I was only fifteen..."

 Charlie looked down silently. He finally looked up at Jay. "Does it ever stop hurting...?"

 That question really affected Jay. He nodded, tears rolling down his cheeks. He took Charlie in his embrace. "The pain will always be there...But it will hurt less as time goes on...The wound will heal...But there'll always be a scar...Love does help...It helps to have friends who really care about you..."

 "I've never had any of that..." Charlie mumbled into Jay's shoulder. 

 "Well, now you do." I said softly. Charlie looked up at me, still clinging to Jay. "We want to be your friends. We want to give you the love you deserve. We want to be your family. If you will let us."

 "You-you want to....adopt me...?"

 "We do. That is, if you want us to. You don't have to call us mom or dad. We don't want to replace your parents. But we do want to give you the love and home you deserve." Jay responded. "So...What do you say, Charlie?"

 Charlie smiled, tears forming in his eyes. "Yes! Thank you, thank you!" Charlie hugged us both tightly, tears flowing down his cheeks. I smiled brightly at Jay. Tears of joy rolled down our cheeks as we hugged Charlie. 

 "We love you, Charlie..." I whispered to him.

 "I love you too..." Charlie said, his voice cracking.