Chapter 1: This Side of Paradise

Start from the beginning

He certainly didn't speak like a normal high school student, who should be around 15 years of age.

"Um- I think the lady is right."

The office worker woman received some unexpected help. It was a girl wearing my school's uniform, again. Another potential classmate. In fact, the entire bus was filled with boys and girls who looked my age and wore my school's uniform.

"Everyone, please listen to me for a moment."

The girl spoke loudly, and her voice carried through the bus, as people seemed to turn our way in curiosity.

"Could someone please give up their seat for this elderly woman? Anyone..."

What are wishes? Could I experience them? Love, hate, desire... They were all abstract things that I had never had the slightest glimpse of before.

Looking around, I could tell that no one was going to give up their seat. No one considered it necessary to give it up. They all shared the same outlook.

I stood up from my seat. It was vacant once again, just like before I had sat in it.

"You can have my seat."

"Thank you!" the elderly woman wobbled over, as I bent over, helping her into the seat.

This was my first act. I didn't know why I had done it—perhaps out of some desire to feel something. But the woman's gratitude did not stir any such feeling within me.

"I think that was a really good thing you did!"

It was the girl from earlier, who had tried to convince people to give up their seat. She had short, beige-colored hair, and gradient crimson eyes. She was well-endowed, and I struggled to keep my eyes on her face. She could easily be considered highly attractive.

Cuteness was a dangerous weapon. I made a mental note.

"Thank you."

"My name is Kushida Kikyō! What's yours?" she introduced herself, smiling.

And with that smile, all traces of cuteness disappeared.

It might not seem like that to others, but it was to me. There was something strange, about the smile. It could barely be noticed, but her smile was strained, to my eyes at least. Maybe it wasn't. Perhaps it was because I was not used to social interaction yet. The smile itself was off-putting, unnatural.

"My name is Ayanokōji Kiyotaka. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too!" she smiled again, "I hope we can be in the same class, Ayanokōji-kun!"

I nodded, "Likewise, Kushida-san."

I sensed a gaze upon me. Curious, I turned my head. It was the young man who had refused to give up his seat. Our gazes met for the briefest of seconds, and he nodded, almost imperceptibly. I ignored him and held onto the railing on the ceiling of the bus. I closed my eyes, attempting to take a nap.

Soon enough, we arrived at our destination, and all the high school students on the bus began to disembark.

I stepped forward off the bus and began following the other students, who all seemed to be going towards the welcoming ceremony. Hopefully, it wouldn't be too troublesome.

-o-o-o-

What a troublesome ceremony it was. Class D was the most talkative, followed by C, then B, then A. Class A seemed entirely composed of model students.

For some reason, the young, blonde-haired man from before kept his gaze on me the entire time but did not approach me. Additionally, I felt the gaze of a short, lilac-haired girl, who I could barely see over the sea of heads. Both of these people, as well as me, were standing near the back. I had thought that standing near the back would attract the least attention. It seemed like the opposite had happened.