Chapter 59

I woke early to the sounds of my daughter wailing from down the hall. Dragging myself reluctantly from the bed, I went to relieve Eileen from her responsibilities. Taking one look at the state I was in, Eileen wordlessly brewed a pot of coffee and pressed a strong cup into my hand as I blearily fed Julia a bottle. As the rest of the household began to wake, I rallied myself to help Eileen put breakfast on the table, which allowed us to catch up briefly over the frying pan and between spooning cereal into small mouths. Eileen had already fallen in love with Julia. "Anna, she was a little dream yesterday. So darling and just looking at you with those big brown eyes!" She pressed a hand over her heart, an adoring look on her face.

I stirred the eggs, giving a small smile and a shrug. She certainly didn't get those eyes from me.

"What do you think about taking the kids to the park today?" Eileen asked briskly. "It's a lovely day."

"Let me check with Dot." I said, looking up at the clock. Poor thing was sleeping extra late today. "I'll go see how she's feeling."

Climbing the stairs, I popped my head into the bedroom. Dot was still laid out in bed, a pillow now covering her head. Tiptoeing carefully over to her side, I sank down gently on the edge of the bed and placed a soft hand on her shoulder under the blanket. "Dot? Ye plannin' to get up anytime soon?"

A miserable sound emanated from under the pillow.

"Should I take that as a no?" I teased softly.

Groaning, she reached up to pull the pillow slightly to the side, enough that I could see one bloodshot brown eye peering out at me. "I'm sorry, Anna, I'm in no shape to do anything today." She whispered hoarsely. "I feel like absolute rubbish. Why'd ye let me get so pissed last night?"

"You needed it. We needed it."

"Well, you're vertical."

I shrugged. "Can I bring ye anything? We've got brekkie going downstairs."

She groaned and pulled the pillow back over her face, blocking out the light. "No. Just some water, thanks. Maybe an aspirin or two."

"Coming right up."

I partook in the water and aspirin as well and, after breakfast, felt well enough to accompany Jimmy and Eileen to the park with the kids. We passed a lovely morning playing on the swings and seesaws and returned home for lunch. Dot still wasn't ready to do much more than lay in bed, though she did attempt some tea and biscuits.

When I returned to the sitting room, Eileen let me know that her friend Louise had phoned to invite her, Jimmy, and the kids over for Sunday dinner that evening. "Would you like to join us? Louise's husband George works with Jimmy at the bank. They're just down the street."

I hesitated. As much as I loved spending time with Eileen, a formal dinner with a couple of bankers' wives sounded a bit too stuffy for me. I'd actually hoped to go out on the town again that night, but it was looking less and less likely that Dot would be able to accompany me. I suddenly remembered the little secret tucked away in my bag upstairs. I wonder...

"Actually, I – there's someone I wanted to...connect with while I was here, perhaps. D'ye mind if I use your phone?"

"Oh. Of course."

I raced back up the stairs, rummaging as quietly as possible in my bag with Dot snoozing again. Feeling the small slip of paper crunched into the corner of the valise, I drew it out carefully, smoothing the creases of the small card so I could read Maureen Cleave's contact information.

I'd tucked the business card into my luggage at the last minute, as I was racing out the door. I hadn't expected to have time to connect up with the journalist from the Spring Fling again – or much hope that she'd even remember me – but I'd figured that, since I'd be in London anyway, I might as well bring her card along with me. As I picked up the phone in the front hall, carefully dialling the number for the London Evening Standard offices, I realised I was holding my breath.