"Until I went to prison and couldn't pay her rent and car note no more. I would call her phone and she would decline it. Until the one time she answered and told me I wasn't her son no more and to stop calling."

Kayla huffed, knowing there was probably no hope for her brother and mother to reconnect.

All of what Von was saying was true. Their mother had always been motivated by money. She would do anything for a dollar. Thankfully, her kids were never put up for grabs. But she had no shame in the fact that money completely ruled her life and everything else came second.

It became silent between the two as they finished their food. There was a lot of pent up trauma and resentment throughout the Bennett bloodline that has never been discussed.

In normal African American households, the elders never believed in therapy or discussing family issues outside the house. They actually never talked about them at all. As long as the kids were fed and clothed, they were more than well taken care of.

Kayla and Von were products of this mindset. However, they both strived to create a different reality for themselves.

"How long you in town?" He asked, breaking the awkward silence.

"I leave tomorrow afternoon, I was only here for a photoshoot." Nodding his head, he wiped his mouth, tossing the napkin onto the nearly empty plate in front of him.

"But I have one more favor to ask of you."

"Did you get the wire transfer?" Saavia closed the door behind herself and Dayvon as both of his hands were full of a few groceries and their takeout dinner

"Okay. How soon can we move in?"

Pulling a lighter out from the drawer, Saavia lit her favorite snickerdoodle candle, bringing it to the dinner table.

After touring the high rise apartment, Dayvon and Saavia completely fell in love with it. It was spacious, modern and timeless. Everything they wanted out of having their own space for the first time in years.

Dayvon was currently on the phone with the sales agent, finalizing the first payment and handling electronic signatures.

She felt her heartbeat beginning to quicken as she realized it was now time for them to talk. Saavia was both anxious and annoyed with this conversation. She was scared to hear the truth, but also apprehensive to know what they were up against.

"Thank you, I'll let Saavia know. You too." Ending the phone call, Dayvon joined Saavia at the table.

"She said we can move in the first. The unit will be ready for us." He informed, immediately digging into his stir fry meal before him.

Simply nodding, Saavia began playing with her food. She wasn't sure how to start the conversation. She wasn't even sure if Dayvon was still upset with her for staying out so late.