Chapter 14

Despite being the last out of the two to fall asleep, Reigen still opened his eyes first. He was greeted by warmth and a somewhat familiar scent. His head turned to the side and it took him a moment or perhaps only half of it to recall the events that led up to this point. Immediately he was struck by guilt and wished for nothing more than to turn back time and undo everything. Had he’d been offered the chance to relive the past day, he would and he would do things a lot differently to say the least or choose to drown his sorrows in the comfort of his own apartment. While he had no idea how Serizawa felt about all this and that, he was certain it was anything but pleasant. Reigen had a hard time being there for anyone, let alone taking care of someone who couldn’t do that by themselves. Serizawa did that everyday as a job. And he probably helped Reigen just because he wanted to.

He shifted, carefully not to wake Serizawa up. He rolled around to look at his sleeping face. Reigen never considered himself to be a good person. Especially when he compared himself to Serizawa who was actually someone that was good or great or whatever you want to call it and he probably didn’t even fully realise it.

Reigen shifted once again, this time facing away from Serizawa. Watching his face just made him feel worse.

He wanted to get up but felt a shift behind him. Once again, he faced the other man in bed. Now an awake man in bed.

"You're awake," said Reigen wide eyed and turned his whole body towards Serizawa. "You are too," Serizawa answered. "How are you feeling?” Reigen only shrugged in response and groaned as he covered his face with his hands.

“Katsuya, listen,” he began. “I’m so sorry about yesterday. I’m sorry for causing you so much trouble.”

Serizawa just stared at Reigen who sat up now.

“You deal with people everyday and then I come and cause you more work and you are kind enough to help me, even though it does nothing but inconvenience you.”

“Taka-”

“I think I should go.”

“I like helping you, Taka.”

Reigen was already out of the bed by that point and looking at Serizawa who was sitting up. His face was slightly flushed and he had a small smile. His eyes were half lidded and his hair was messy and there were dark circles over his eyes. How Reigen would love to see him like that every morning. When Serizawa stopped him, Reigen felt an ache in his chest.

“Am I not a burden?”

Serizawa shook his head. Reigen slowly sat back down. He seemed reluctant to, but the look in Serizawa’s eyes reassured him it was okay. He met them only for a second and kept his distance. The events of last night were echoing in his mind and he was still embarrassed.

“You’re fine.” Reigen gave him a doubtful look, despite the fact that Serizawa sounded confident in his statement. “I mean it’s hard to deal with it because I hate to see you like that. But I’m also happy that I get to help you. Obviously it’d be better if it didn’t happen at all, but honestly, I wouldn’t want to see anyone else help you.” Reigen still couldn’t understand why Serizawa wasn’t bothered by him and his clumsy actions. It made him feel cared for, obviously, but a larger part of him was ashamed he had to be taken care of in the first place and by Serizawa of all people.

Reigen looked at him and sighed. “But am I?” “Are you what?” “Fine. I mean, I’m a grown man and you had to drag me all the way here and I’m by no means light and it’s hard for me to imagine that anyone would do all of this for me or for my sake. No one ever did, until you did.” “I think of you as someone that’s somewhat closer to me than most people I come across at my job.” “Really?” “Yeah.”