Chapter 7

The following morning, Reigen woke up first. He made himself comfortable on Serizawa's chest at one point during the night. He smiled to himself when he opened his eyes and saw Serizawa who was still asleep.

They've gotten really close. Friends don't usually sleep all over each other like this, do they?

They don't. They also don't kiss each other. They were friends. Reigen began freaking out. Was he crossing some sort of boundary? Were they supposed to do that? All friendships worked differently, right? So it could be okay? Were they friends with benefits? What kind of benefits?

Reigen didn't have enough friendship experience to know that for sure. He was closer with some people, but he didn't really consider anyone to be his friends, so what he and Serizawa were doing was something he never experienced before. He was new to this friendship thing in his late 20s. A time in his life where he should be already thinking about other things people his age were thinking about.

Things such as marriage, kids, career, house and anything that went hand in hand with these things.

He didn't hate the idea of having a family, but the way he was, he assumed it would be difficult for him to find anyone that loved him for who he was. This was how he viewed himself most of the time - unworthy of love.

Most of the people he met in his life so far gave him the impression that he was right or that only certain parts of him were to be loved and that he, as a person, would never be able to be loved with all of his flaws and problems and insecurities and anything about himself that he didn't like.

People say far too often that you can't be loved if you don't love yourself first. Reigen heard that many times, many enough for him to take it to his heart. He knew the person who disliked him the most was perhaps he, himself. No matter how he looked at himself, he couldn't find one thing that would make him believe otherwise.

You can't be loved if you don't love yourself first.

So be it. Reigen gave up on trying to love himself and being loved.

Until recently.

Maybe he was delusional, but he realized he felt a lot better about himself when he was around Serizawa. Even if Serizawa wasn't saying anything about liking Reigen or thinking that he was a good person or anything, Reigen felt good around him. He was warm and he was kind. Maybe it was the kindness that Serizawa gave him that Reigen never received, maybe that was the thing that made him feel good about himself.

And it felt honest - when Serizawa was nice to him.

Anyhow it was time for Reigen to slowly get up - maybe he could even make some breakfast for him and Serizawa while he was awake. It would be a nice gesture, he thought. And a thank you to Serizawa.

Reigen sat up and stretched his arms, taking another look at Serizawa, smiling. Serizawa's shift started later in the day, so he didn't want to wake him up just yet.

Reigen had his work to attend to as well... in a few hours.

So while he was free he might as well be of use and make some breakfast for the two of them. He wouldn't consider himself a great cook, but he certainly knew his way around the kitchen. Excited to prepare something delicious for the two of them, he opened Serizawa's fridge and immediately ran into a problem - there were not many ingredients. There was food. Mostly the one you just needed to heat up and it was ready to go.

Reigen looked at Serizawa, still asleep on his bed. Did this guy not know how to cook? At that age? Well he did say he's spent a while of his life isolated, but that didn't mean he was just clueless about cooking and making food in general.