Chapter 37 :- Trust beyond Reproach

Začít od začátku

"Nice reflexes, kid," she remarked, amusement twinkling in her eyes.

Relaxing my stance, I withdrew my clenched fist as the woman spoke again. "Come with me."

But the manager hesitated, voicing her concern. "But Ma'am..."

With a reassuring smile, the woman in white silenced the manager. "It's alright, you don't have to worry."

Locking eyes with me, she continued, "Bring your friends inside."

Nodding in agreement, I ushered Alice, K and Sho into the restaurant. We followed the woman in white as she led us to a waiting elevator. Stepping inside, she pushed the buttons, and the lift descended into the depths below.

As the doors opened, revealing a hidden world beneath the surface, I couldn't help but feel a sense of disbelief wash over me. It was like stepping into a secret hideout, a sanctuary hidden from the chaos of the world above.

The floor was immaculately clean, and people dressed in black moved with purpose, their attire hinting at their profession. It felt more like an office than anything else, yet there was an undercurrent of intensity that hung in the air.

Following the woman in white, we were directed to a room where K, Sho, and Alice were instructed to wait outside. I followed the woman inside, taking a seat across from her at a desk as she settled in front of me.

"You must be the DCS (Detective Chief Superintendent), I guess," I ventured, breaking the silence that hung between us.

"You are correct, my friend," she confirmed with a nod. "So, tell me, what deal did you want to make with us? I'm surprised that you found out about us and came all the way here."

I leaned back in my chair, studying her carefully before speaking. "I'll tell you everything about Elizabeth, and in return I want you to check up on Alice," I stated plainly.

Her eyebrow arched in curiosity. "I understand why you want to share information about Elizabeth, but what makes you trust us?" she inquired, her tone probing.

With a smirk, I leaned forward, my gaze unwavering. "I could ask you the same question," I countered. "What made you... trust me the most?"

Confusion flickered across her features before she composed herself, her expression turning guarded. "I don't understand what you mean," she admitted.

Chuckling softly, I shook my head. "After all, aren't you the one behind this? You wanted me here, right?"

A smirk tugged at the corners of her lips, and she let out a soft giggle. "So, you've figured it out, huh?" she replied, amusement dancing in her eyes.

Meeting her gaze head-on, I spoke with conviction. "I'm not the kind of person who falls for this kind of deception, so, let's keep this simple and straight. You could've sent professional detectives after me, but you didn't. You sent Claire after me because she's goofy, irresponsible, and unprofessional. You knew that I would find this place on my own using her somehow. I still don't know who planned all of this, but I guess it's you. You wanted me here, and now I'm here. I am just glad that we are on the same page here."

"Good job," the DCS acknowledged, her tone tinged with a hint of admiration. "Looks like I underestimated you. Well, anyway, what would you like in return?"

I glanced down, feeling a weight lift from my shoulders at her acknowledgment. "I would like you to check up on Alice. You must have doctors here, right? Anyone with some medical knowledge," I replied softly.

The DCS nodded in understanding. "Is that all! Yeah, we have one. I'll call the doctor to take her for a check-up," she assured me.

"Thank you so much," I murmured gratefully.

As the DCS made the call, I started pouring out every detail about Elizabeth and my situation. We discussed our plans for a few minutes, strategizing and formulating a plan to confront Elizabeth the following day. A sense of urgency hung in the air as we exchanged crucial information, each word spoken with a weighty significance.

Finally, as our discussion drew to a close, I thanked her sincerely for her help. Rising from my seat, I made my way out of her office, my thoughts swirling with the gravity of our impending confrontation.

Outside, K and Sho were engrossed in their own world, goofing around like carefree children. I joined them, taking a seat beside them and waiting anxiously for Alice to return with the doctor.

After what felt like an eternity, Alice finally emerged, accompanied by the doctor. Rising to my feet, I stood before them, my heart pounding in anticipation.

"Well, I checked her," the doctor began, his expression serious. "And I'll be honest with you... the thing is."