Chapter 8: Widow and Wolf

Avery paced her room waiting to be called to the jet for her mission.

"can you stop pacing your stressing me out and I'm not even going on this mission" Barnes said walking out of his room and into hers.

"Sorry" she said, sitting on her bed

"hey" he said, sitting down beside her.

"what's wrong kid? You're never this nervous before a mission?"

"I know it's just that this is my first big mission and I don't wanna screw up"

"you won't you're the best in your group and don't tell any of the other kids, but you're my favorite to train"  he said, wrapping his arm around her.

"thanks Barnes and for the record you're my favorite trainer." Avery replied, leaning her head on his shoulder and looking up at him.

"aw, thanks kid and hey, if you're still nervous, then take Teddy" He said, handing her the bear.

Avery smiled, putting Teddy into her backpack and standing up .

"Avery come to the jets now" Pierce said over the speakers.

"well I guess this is goodbye for now" Avery said, hugging Barnes.

"Bye kid" he said, hugging her back.

(Time skip)

"Avery, this is Natasha Romanoff. She will be working with you on this mission." Pierre said referring to the red haired 16-year-old in front of him.

"hello nice to meet you" Avery said, putting out her hand. 

But Natasha didn't take it. She just looked at Avery as if she was studying her. Avery put her hand down, said her final goodbyes and boarded the ship.

"so are you going to say anything?" Avery asked sitting across from Natasha.

"I have nothing to say to you" she finally said.

"geez what did I ever do to you?"

"nothing it's just-"

"Just what?"

"you remind me of my little sister"

"oh I'm sorry"

"it's fine. I just don't really get to see her now that we're widows." Natasha said, looking up at Avery.

"I see" Avery said try to remember if she had any siblings.

"so did you have any siblings before you were a soldier?"

"I don't know. I can't remember much before I was found."

"oh that must be sad. I'm sorry." Natasha said sympathetically.

"It's fine plus I have Mr. Barnes and Finn they're like my big brothers"

"that's pretty cool"

"yeah I guess it is"

"I don't think I ever ever caught your name"

"Im Avery"

"well nice to meet you, Avery you already know my name but you can just call me Nat." she said smiling.

"nice to meet you at I can already that we're going to get along great" Avery said smiling back.